The Student Room Group

Nea help

I have to choose a book pre 1900 to compare with The collector by John Fowler. Could anyone give me anything to compare it with and themes please!?
Reply 1
Hi, there's quite a few themes- if you pick one you feel you could write a lot about I could give some books to compare it too?
- Class
- Power/control
- Photographs
- Imprisonment/captivity
- Collecting
- Art (of music, literature, etc.)
Original post by vicgb03
Hi, there's quite a few themes- if you pick one you feel you could write a lot about I could give some books to compare it too?
- Class
- Power/control
- Photographs
- Imprisonment/captivity
- Collecting
- Art (of music, literature, etc.)

Could I have some books to compare in the pre 19th century please! Thank you such a help the power and control theme stands out to me :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, sorry for taking so long!!
If you still need them I managed to find these?:
- The Yellow Wallpaper (short story, definitely shows patriarchal power during the time and the effect this has on women during the time, especially their mental health- also looks at how the main character is able to gain some power of her own)
- Jane Eyre (again shows men’s power over women, but also adults’ power over children and the effect this has on their self-esteem- also shows main character overcoming through her rationality and self-worth) ("I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will, which I now exert to leave you.")
- Macbeth (+ many other Shakespeare plays) (Macbeth desperately wants to cling onto the power and control he has, but is also heavily controlled by his wife)
- A Streetcar Named Desire (if you’re able to use a play this is a really good one for the theme- looks at the fading power of the Old South and the rise of the New South in the post-WW2 American South, also the power of men over women)
- A Christmas Carol (definitely looks at the effect of the rich using their power over the poor, and only really being tamed/controlled by their past/the realisation of their mortality)

Hope that helps and sorry again for taking so long!!

Quick Reply