Turn on thread page Beta

can they fine me for that? watch

ReputationRep:
    i had a producer, so had to go to local station and show insurance details etc etc but i totally forget and yesterday was last day!!

will they do anything if i give it tomorrow, they can't fine me or anything can they? ..or worse give me points!

ReputationRep:
    If you do not produce a document it is likely that a summons will be sent alleging both a failure to produce the document and the relevant document offence itself. For example, if you fail to produce your insurance certificate, you can expect a summons alleging failing to produce and driving without insurance. The prosecutor will withdraw the charge of driving without insurance if you can produce your certificate, but the failing to produce charge will stay unless you have can show good reason why you did not produce the document.

Maximum Sentence
    This offence can be dealt with only by the Magistrates Court. The maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1000. The Court has no power to disqualify for this offence or put penalty points on a driver’s licence. The fine tends to reflect the administrative complications that result when documents are not produced in good time.

I have copied that from a web site.
    http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/010830/226/c2jwr.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax Terrier)
    If you do not produce a document it is likely that a summons will be sent alleging both a failure to produce the document and the relevant document offence itself. For example, if you fail to produce your insurance certificate, you can expect a summons alleging failing to produce and driving without insurance. The prosecutor will withdraw the charge of driving without insurance if you can produce your certificate, but the failing to produce charge will stay unless you have can show good reason why you did not produce the document.

Maximum Sentence
    This offence can be dealt with only by the Magistrates Court. The maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1000. The Court has no power to disqualify for this offence or put penalty points on a driver’s licence. The fine tends to reflect the administrative complications that result when documents are not produced in good time.

I have copied that from a web site.
    http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/010830/226/c2jwr.html
    ohh and thanks for info!

say what now :eek:

just for giving it 2days late!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiL MiSs cHeEkY)
    ohh and thanks for info!

say what now :eek:

just for giving it 2days late!
    They gave you plenty of time for your to produce it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    They gave you plenty of time for your to produce it

yes....but i forgot

ReputationRep:
    Turn up with your production notice and all the documentation they asked for. Don't mention the date, just hand it over and let them get on with it. Hopefully they wont notice and you'll get a reciept to say you;ve done as you've been asked.

ReputationRep:
    'i forgot' isn't a valid excuse these days.

Depends if you have someone nice deal with you, if not you could find yourself in court.

ReputationRep:
    They will not prosecute you for 2 days late on a HO/RT 1

ReputationRep:
    well tbh they'll get money off you for whatever reason they can come up with eg getting 3 points and a fine for doing 31 in a 30 zone..... speedos aren't even accurate to the mph due to their thickness -.- well they are in the sense that at X point you are doing X mph but to judge it with your eyes is difficult because the needle is thicker than one mph on the speedo
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Speedometers all overread to a tiny fraction. They're always going to be inaccurate, so the manufacturers ensure they're inaccurate in the "safe" direction!

Stick your satnav on to measure your speed. My car, at an indicated 30mph (i.e. the tip of the speedometer needle as accurately as I can manage in the centre of the block next to 30) is actually just doing 28mph. In order to do an actual 70mph, I have to drive at an indicated 75.5mph.

So in other words, to be prosecuted for doing 31 in a 30 (which I don't believe, to be honest) you'd need to be driving at an indicated 33ish. So if in doubt, just keep the needle below 30 and stop blaming your kit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    S
    So in other words, to be prosecuted for doing 31 in a 30 (which I don't believe, to be honest) you'd need to be driving at an indicated 33ish. So if in doubt, just keep the needle below 30 and stop blaming your kit.
    well you can trust me on that lol because its happened to my dad :P

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get down there, now. Get off TSR and go down there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well you can trust me on that lol because its happened to my dad :P
    Your dad was probably driving at 33/34 from the speedo, so in real terms that is 31mph. So he got fined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Your dad was probably driving at 33/34 from the speedo, so in real terms that is 31mph. So he got fined.
    yea ok but what if he had one of those electronic speedos and he got fined? people slip over the speed limit every now and then because you just don't realise it but police will fine you for any reason they can find.

ReputationRep:
    yea ok but what if he had one of those electronic speedos and he got fined? people slip over the speed limit every now and then because you just don't realise it but police will fine you for any reason they can find.
    You say that because you've had negative dealings with the police. The police can actually be exteremly helpful. Then again, some people are always going to hate the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    You say that because you've had negative dealings with the police. The police can actually be exteremly helpful. Then again, some people are always going to hate the police.
    no i've had help from them before but the way they place speed cameras everywhere and mobile cameras everywhere just to get extra funding pisses me off such as getting fined for doing 31 in a 30.

ReputationRep:
    no i've had help from them before but the way they place speed cameras everywhere and mobile cameras everywhere just to get extra funding pisses me off such as getting fined for doing 31 in a 30.

I can see you've got an axe to grind there, but ill try anyway.

Most cops don't like speed cameras, they are a pain in the asre. Most speed cameras are run by local authorities with civilians manning the camera vans. Around half of speed camera income goes into the road safety partnership, 20% to the treasury and the rest to the local authority (and in turn, back to the police). The police are delegated as having to deal with speed camera enforcement as they are the only authority with the legal powers to prosecute.

Having said that, some forces with mad police chiefs love speed cameras, like the welsh constabularies.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    people slip over the speed limit every now and then because you just don't realise it but police will fine you for any reason they can find.
    Still don't believe it. The accuracy of the average laser speedtrap isn't that good, hence why you get all these apocryphal stories of forces not prosecuting until you're at least 10% + a bit over the limit.

If he was actually moving at 31mph then there's no way he'd have been fined. If he was by some crazy coincidence fined for that, then as discussed he was probably doing an indicated 35mph.

The police are eminently sensible, and don't want you staring at your speedo constantly rather than looking outside, so if you generally have your speedo needle pointing at 30 and not 35 you're perfectly safe.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had a 10% allowance when it came to speeding.

What was the outcome by the way?

Have they locked you up?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.