How to write a personal statement for several courses? Human Sciences?

Watch
themartinipolice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey all, so I'm going to be applying to university in October and I'm trying to write my first draft personal statement as my school wants it by the end of the week, but I'm really struggling.

I discovered the Human Sciences course at Oxford recently and fell in love, it's absolutely what I'm looking to do and would be my top choice. There's not many human sciences courses in the country, and the only other one I'm really interested in is Exeter. So that's two. For my other 3 choices, I'm looking at other Biology/ Anthropology kinda courses. But I feel like any personal statement I write won't fit all the courses. Is it better to gear the statement towards my top 2 choices, or towards the other 3 and hope the top 2 understand its a fairly niche course? Any tips?
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
Hey all, so I'm going to be applying to university in October and I'm trying to write my first draft personal statement as my school wants it by the end of the week, but I'm really struggling.

I discovered the Human Sciences course at Oxford recently and fell in love, it's absolutely what I'm looking to do and would be my top choice. There's not many human sciences courses in the country, and the only other one I'm really interested in is Exeter. So that's two. For my other 3 choices, I'm looking at other Biology/ Anthropology kinda courses. But I feel like any personal statement I write won't fit all the courses. Is it better to gear the statement towards my top 2 choices, or towards the other 3 and hope the top 2 understand its a fairly niche course? Any tips?
I would say try it's possible but be very careful when doing so bc then it can look like you're not sure on what you want to do. When I applied for courses I applied for one medical science course, two neuroscience courses and two neuroscience and psychology joint honours courses. I was successful in getting 4 of the 5 unis (two were both at Exeter so they didn't look at me any different because of it). I think that if you can find courses very similar to human sciences you can tailor your personal statement to fit your choices and if the biology/anthropology kinda courses work defo go for it
Last edited by Dechante; 2 months ago
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Niche courses will be more familiar with people talking about slightly different subjects in their PSs. Is it like human biology/biochemistry/biomed science?
themartinipolice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
Niche courses will be more familiar with people talking about slightly different subjects in their PSs. Is it like human biology/biochemistry/biomed science?
It's basically the study of humans as a whole. Biological and social sciences. Oxford describes their course as:
"Studying the connections among human biology, evolution, development, psychology, behaviour, ecology, society, and culture equips the human scientist to develop professional competencies suited to addressing multidimensional human problems within a framework of human diversity and sustainability."

So there's elements of a Biology, Archeology, Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology course.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
It's basically the study of humans as a whole. Biological and social sciences. Oxford describes their course as:
"Studying the connections among human biology, evolution, development, psychology, behaviour, ecology, society, and culture equips the human scientist to develop professional competencies suited to addressing multidimensional human problems within a framework of human diversity and sustainability."

So there's elements of a Biology, Archeology, Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology course.
OK so chances are they will be used to one of those subjects being focused on in your PS. You could always contact them directly and see if they would consider/want an alternative more focused PS
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A personal statement focusing on biological anthropology should be suitable for both Human sciences at Oxford and Exeter and for biological/evolutionary anthropology courses elsewhere, or anthropology courses with a good range of medical/biological options (e.g. UCL). I think it would be harder but not impossible to write one for a biology course and Human sciences personally; I think you would probably end up focusing a lot on evolution and behavioural ecology to be relevant to human sciences anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.86%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.43%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
37.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
17.14%

Watched Threads