_Robyn_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
As a career i want to do something with physics that involves space. Currently ive decided on maths and physics to take at a level and dont know what to put for the third one. I'm not really interested in anything else and maths and physics are the requirements for the course i wanna take at uni. What other subject do u think will help?
_Robyn_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I want to go into astronomy as a career so do u think these a levels would be good?
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Idk if its good to have 2 sciences as i feel that would be a lot. Is there anyone who took these a levels that could tell me a bit about the workload
vicgb03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I'm going to be starting physics at uni this year, so I'll try to give a little bit of advice (I took Physics, Maths and English Lang/Lit)
Physics and maths are the main subjects you need in order to apply for a degree in astronomy/physics and astronomy/physics generally, so you're already on the right track. Both subjects help each other, but doing another science can also be really helpful for physics and also when you're writing your personal statement. I'd say that's a good selection of a levels, just make sure you're doing what you enjoy and what you're good at.

As for the work load, a level physics and maths were hugely different to GCSEs. My grades at the beginning of physics (ocr) were not great, but as you learn more and get into the hang of things, questions become easier and things start to make sense. I'd say it's important to ask questions whenever you're struggling with anything at all and ask for practice questions/find them online.
A Level Maths (edexcel) started off with some fairly easy GCSE recap, but definitely gets more difficult as you progress and go into year 13. Things like past papers and solution banks for questions in my textbook were really helpful.
For chemistry, I've heard from my friends that it can take some time to understand and can be quite challenging at times, but that's what the a level science subjects are pretty much like all round...

All in all, astronomy is a really cool topic (we unfortunately didn't get to finish it)- I started off year 12 determined to pursue it as a career but ended up loving the quantum side of physics even more. You might find yourself switching between interests during a levels, and that's completely ok! Sixth form kind of revolves around you discovering new topics that you like and might not have gotten to learn much about at GCSE.
Sorry for the essay, I hope this was of some help! Let me know if you have any more questions
nightingalegend
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i’m pretty sure further maths will be important too, so maths, further maths and physics would be a good combination. if your sixth-form considers maths and further maths as one subject choice, you can also take chemistry alongside those three
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The above post is a really good answer.

Physics and Maths are pretty much all that is needed, with the third subject in anything you want, as long as that is good grades, too. So make sure it's a subject you enjoy. Some people take Further Maths, Chemistry, or Comp-Sci; the latter being quite popular, but it tends to be taught at University presuming you have no prior experience, anyway.

It's mentioned on a few threads that Physics at degree level, A-Level Maths is more important than A-Level Physics, although both are needed. At the degree level, Physics usually starts being taught by using Calculus, compared to a more practical and observational approach using Algebra at A-Level.

I'm going to be studying Physics with Astrophysics, and my main passion is the Astro-side; however, I am going into the degree with a totally open mind as, like the post above, I could easily end up finding another branch that really interests me. Normally, you enter into an Astrophysics degree because you want to know about space beyond what you see on programs like "How the Universe Works". By the end of your degree, you may have ended up answering most of the questions you had, but then you end up with a ton of questions for a different Physics topic which ignites a new search for knowledge. Even when studying Astrophysics and you learn about the Universe on a large scale, you can end up discovering you prefer straight Cosmology and end up wanting to research the Universe on the small scale.
Last edited by NovaeSci; 2 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Look at Astrophysics, Cosmology and Astronomy courses and check the entry requirements carefully - examples :

Cardiff - https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/physics-as...aduate-courses
Edinburgh - https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...subject&code=4
Lancaster - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-f3fm/
Bristol - https://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergra...-astrophysics/
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
As a career i want to do something with physics that involves space. Currently ive decided on maths and physics to take at a level and dont know what to put for the third one. I'm not really interested in anything else and maths and physics are the requirements for the course i wanna take at uni. What other subject do u think will help?
Hi Robyn. Astronomy sounds like an awesome choice!

When it comes to A-level choices, whilst it’s beneficial to do some A-levels that relate heavily to your area of interest (Maths and Physics in your case), you can also pick a 3rd A-level that you are interested in and enjoy.

In my case, I’m doing a BSc in Computer Science. My sixth form didn’t offer A-level Computer Science, so I picked Maths and Physics - but I couldn’t find a 3rd A-level that was related. However, I really enjoyed my GCSE in Geography so I decided to pick that as my 3rd A-level.
This meant that I found Geography far less stressful than the other two subjects (as someone mentioned above, Physics and Maths have a giant workload) because I found it fun and interesting (which makes studying for a good grade 10x easier!). I even mentioned Geography in my personal statement when applying to university, it shows that you have more to you than just the course that you want to study and universities will love that.

All the best in your A-levels & future applications!

~ Mikael - UoP Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads