The Student Room Group

Most interesting philosophers? (Not necessarily the most correct)?

I have to write a thesis on a philosopher. I need to choose which one - now, I have my favourites! but I’m interested in who everyone else’s are and why. As I said in my title, not necessarily the one I feel got closest to the ‘truth’ but perhaps who would be the most interesting to write about - their efforts and methods and character etc! Thank you!
Reply 1
Nietzsche is a safe bet. His method is famous. Schopenhauer was also pretty interesting, both of them were a bit weird and kind of curmudgeonly.

Kierkegaard also had madcap methods and was dead interesting.

Or you could go a bit more left field with someone like Zhuangzi.

What is the thesis specifically about?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Nietzsche is a safe bet. His method is famous. Schopenhauer was also pretty interesting, both of them were a bit weird and kind of curmudgeonly.

Kierkegaard also had madcap methods and was dead interesting.

Or you could go a bit more left field with someone like Zhuangzi.

What is the thesis specifically about?

Thank you! Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard were in my top five possibilities! I was tempted to choose one with which I personally have the most disagreement to make it more of a challenge. I have been getting extra tutelage from a brilliant old ex-professor who set me the task. Thanks for reinforcing my first impulses!
Reply 3
No probs. If you go for Schopenhaur, have a look for any stuff written by David Bather Woods. He's currently doing some cool stuff on Schopenhaur
Reply 4
My favourite is Bertrand Russell, because he bucked the trend of philosophy being incomprehensible abstract nonsense, but actually used it to help society. He went to prison for being a conscientious objector, was a vocal proponent of nuclear disarmament, feminism, sexual freedom, workers' rights, world government, love for one another, and is one of the wisest people I think have ever existed.

A couple other favourites are Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus, because they are superb examples of living their philosophy and trying to lead a virtuous life. Aurelius was literally the ruler of the known world, could have almost anything he wanted, yet was devoted to living a life of virtue and temperance. He was in my opinion one of the best rulers the world has ever had.

Epictetus was also a Stoic like Aurelius, but was a slave. He had his leg broken by his slave master and used a cane for the rest of his life, and no doubt suffered a lot of hardship, yet is still remembered today for his teachings and ability to make the best of his circumstances.

Then there are a couple of philosophers who I don't necessarily agree with or think are nice people, but I find nevertheless very interesting, who are Diogenes (of Sinope) and Schopenhauer. I love their pithy remarks and DGAF attitude but they weren't exactly great role models. Diogenes apparently used to masturbate in public and Schopenhauer pushed his servant down the stairs. But they were interesting characters with a lot to say.

Quick Reply