Who has more opportunities in dating - men or women? And why?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’ve seen a lot of debate around this but can’t work it out.

On average considering the entire UK population, who has more opportunities in dating - men or women? I.e. who has more people interested in them (regardless of whether they reciprocate). And why?
Prettyfrock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely women
Wether they are after men or women
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 2 months ago
Considering that the proportion of straight/bi people is approximately the same for both men and women (I assume you're only referring to straight relationships), I'd assume that the amount of dating opportunities people have (as in the amount of people who are interested in them) is about the same. Whether they make use of those opportunities or go after people who are actually interested in them is a different matter altogether.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends on the type of relationship, type of website/app/ dating introductions agency or other physical venue and the membership demand-supply breakdown.
username5778314
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It is far more down to the individual and there are plenty of dating opportunities for most people.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Gay men and Straight women have a field day in terms of opportunities
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Men and women who have the most dating options are at the peak of their SMV. Women have the most options between ages 18 and 30 when they are most attractive whereas men do not peak until 30's and 40's if they have spent a long time in a good career, making money, working hard in the gym, have their own house and car etc. It's not as simple as asking which gender has more dating options because this depends on many things especially age. Men and women are attracted to different things.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
In terms of hookups, probably.
But they are almost certainly going to be facing the same odds & problems as everyone else when seeking long term relationships and trying to identify the most compatible potential partners that share their ambitions.
Old Skool Freak
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
Ironically, within the gay scene there are a lot of "inter-prejudices" (is that a word? lol) within them. Apparently the Hunks, the Twinks, the Femmes and the Bears all have their individual social circles, protocols etc. (and never the twain shall meet lol)

(Original post by londonmyst)
In terms of hookups, probably.
But they are almost certainly going to be facing the same odds & problems as everyone else when seeking long term relationships and trying to identify the most compatible potential partners that share their ambitions.
Agreed. Granted, it's a lot easier for them to get sex or something very short-term... but when it comes to finding a meaningful relationship, women have to filter out all the weirdos; the married men; the ones who are only after sex; those who see her as a "trophy" or a piece of meat etc. etc.... and that's before she's been on a few dates with a somewhat decent guy, only to find there's something about him that just doesn't work.

So I guess it depends what the OP is asking, really... if it's hook-ups, women definitely have it easier IMHO.. However, if you're talking about finding a rewarding LT relationship, I'd say it's about 50/50. Both men and women have their separate issues in reaching that goal
Last edited by Old Skool Freak; 2 months ago
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I really don't care so long as I have opportunities when I want them, that's all I care about.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If by opportunities you mean for casual sex, then it’s easier for girls because guys tend to be more up for this. As to dating, everyone tends to want to play a bit above their league and I think its tough all round unless you’re in the very attractive set. Guys are expected to do the asking out which certainly increases the opportunity to be blown out
Last edited by Zarek; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
Considering that the proportion of straight/bi people is approximately the same for both men and women (I assume you're only referring to straight relationships), I'd assume that the amount of dating opportunities people have (as in the amount of people who are interested in them) is about the same. Whether they make use of those opportunities or go after people who are actually interested in them is a different matter altogether.
Im not sure it’s the same for everyone. There will always be 2 extremes - some who are attractive and get a lot of interest and others who aren’t very attractive and get no interest at all.
Biubiu43
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Women with small boobs have zero opportunities.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by asif007)
Men and women who have the most dating options are at the peak of their SMV. Women have the most options between ages 18 and 30 when they are most attractive whereas men do not peak until 30's and 40's if they have spent a long time in a good career, making money, working hard in the gym, have their own house and car etc. It's not as simple as asking which gender has more dating options because this depends on many things especially age. Men and women are attracted to different things.
Are there women who can prolong their attractiveness into their 30s and 40s?
Fertility wise they could freeze their eggs?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by asif007)
I agree with what you have said here. Women do peak between the ages of 18-30 and men peak in their 30s and 40s. However, I think in the future, 10-15 years time, women can stay in their peak into their 30s and 40s.
Women are richer now than ever before, a lot of them are starting to take better care of themselves, inside and out. Plus, thanks to cosmetic procedures, skincare products, diet, sun cream, working out, a better quality of life (they are happier), when looking a lot younger in their 30s and 40s than they did before. In fact, a lot of these women stay at their peak for much longer. Plus, in the next decade or two, I'm sure they would've cracked aging and help women keep their youthful looks for longer. Women also can choose to freeze their eggs and get surrogate mothers if they do choose to delay having children.
The best thing about this is that women are pressured to find a partner when they are still young, and their dating options increase too because they look and feel a lot more confident and that's an attractive trait. As women can stay looking "more attractive" for longer women do have more dating options and don't feel the burden of finding a man or needing a man while they are still young.

Another good thing about this is that this idea helps encourage younger women, like me, to not find a man ASAP because while I am still looking young, because I will still have it when I am in my 40s etc. Women are also obviously encouraged to stand on their own two feet and not depend on a man regardless. It really is nice that younger people are encouraged to think and be this way because it makes us feel so much better about finding love (if that's what we want) and aging compared to previous generations. We know that it is possible and that we can keep looking younger for longer, just like men, if that;s what we want, and we can choose when we want to have children. Even when we are much older and naturally not fertile, other methods allow us to still have biological children. So women will age (physically) just like men or better than men.

I mean look at these hot older women and how aging just keeps getting better for women who look after themselves:
Halle Berry, Kourtney Kardashian, Jennifer Garner, Robin Wright, J Lo, Michelle Pfeiffer, Padma Lakshmi, Julia Robert
Aging will keep getting better with the advances of new technologies.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I agree with what you have said here. Women do peak between the ages of 18-30 and men peak in their 30s and 40s. However, I think in the future, 10-15 years time, women can stay in their peak into their 30s and 40s.
Women are richer now than ever before, a lot of them are starting to take better care of themselves, inside and out. Plus, thanks to cosmetic procedures, skincare products, diet, sun cream, working out, a better quality of life (they are happier), when looking a lot younger in their 30s and 40s than they did before. In fact, a lot of these women stay at their peak for much longer. Plus, in the next decade or two, I'm sure they would've cracked aging and help women keep their youthful looks for longer. Women also can choose to freeze their eggs and get surrogate mothers if they do choose to delay having children.
The best thing about this is that women are pressured to find a partner when they are still young, and their dating options increase too because they look and feel a lot more confident and that's an attractive trait. As women can stay looking "more attractive" for longer women do have more dating options and don't feel the burden of finding a man or needing a man while they are still young.

Another good thing about this is that this idea helps encourage younger women, like me, to not find a man ASAP because while I am still looking young, because I will still have it when I am in my 40s etc. Women are also obviously encouraged to stand on their own two feet and not depend on a man regardless. It really is nice that younger people are encouraged to think and be this way because it makes us feel so much better about finding love (if that's what we want) and aging compared to previous generations. We know that it is possible and that we can keep looking younger for longer, just like men, if that;s what we want, and we can choose when we want to have children. Even when we are much older and naturally not fertile, other methods allow us to still have biological children. So women will age (physically) just like men or better than men.

I mean look at these hot older women and how aging just keeps getting better for women who look after themselves:
Halle Berry, Kourtney Kardashian, Jennifer Garner, Robin Wright, J Lo, Michelle Pfeiffer, Padma Lakshmi, Julia Robert
Aging will keep getting better with the advances of new technologies.
I think it’s already happened.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
I think it’s already happened.
I think, ngl, it will still keep happening because there is still a lot of research being conducted on aging.
e.g. David Sinclair
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely woman. She can be part t-rex but they'd always be a desperate man out there.TSR is the finest example
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In terms of online dating apps and the data available, women have more opportunities than men.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are there women who can prolong their attractiveness into their 30s and 40s?
Fertility wise they could freeze their eggs?
Nope. The Wall is inevitable. The Wall occurs between ages 30 - 40 for women. In the future, this can be mitigated by halting or reversing the ageing process, but we are still in the early stages of this technology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads