Nursing degree classification

Watch
futurechildnurse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I am in my third year of my studies and I now know all my academic results. In second year I achieved an average of 62% and in third year I have achieved 71.5%

Is anyone able to tell me what my degree classification is likely to be?

Thank you x
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What university are you at?

It will depend on how your university calculates your final classification.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 2 months ago
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
What university are you at?
UWL
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by futurechildnurse)
UWL
Then you will need a bit more information than just your overall year 2 and year 3 grades.

“8.22. Calculation of Final Grade and Classification of Honours Degree
8.22.1. With the exception of the Level 5 and Level 6 students recorded at 8.23 below, the final degree mark for all students is calculated by applying the following method:
the weighted marks using best 200 credits at Level 5 and Level 6,(100 credits at Level 5 and 100 credits at Level 6), with Level 5 weighted as 0.35 and Level 6 weighted as 0.65 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting).
8.22.2. For students on Top-Up courses or who only study at Level 6 the final degree mark is calculated by using best 100 credits at Level 6 alone (Method ofCalculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module).
8.22.3. The classification of Honours Degrees awarded shall be made according to the following scale, rounded up or down to the nearest whole number:
Mark
Classification
70% - 100% 60% - 69% 50% - 59% 40% - 49% 0% – 39%
First Class Honours
Second Class Honours, Upper Division Second Class Honours, Lower Division Third Class Honours
Fail
A higher classification shall be awarded if the final degree mark is not more than 2% below the lower boundary of the classification to be awarded, and either:
a) at least 120 credits across Level 5 and Level 6 are from modules with marks in or above that classification;
OR
University of West London - Academic Regulations 2020-21 47

b) at least 60 Level 6 credits are from modules with marks in or abovethat classification.
8.23. Variations to Calculation of Final Grade
8.23.1. For students progressing to either Level 5 or Level 6 in 2019-20, and those progressing to Level 6 in 2020-21 only, the final degree mark will be calculated by applying one of the three methods below, whichever produces the highest score:
a) the weighted marks using the best 100 credits at Level 5 and the best 100 credits at Level 6, with Level 5 weighted as 0.5 and Level 6 weighted as 0.5 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting);
OR
b) the marks using the best 100 credits at Level 6 alone (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module).
OR
c) the weighted marks using best 200 credits at Level 5 and Level 6,(100 credits at Level 5 and 100 credits at Level 6), with Level 5 weighted as 0.35 and Level 6 weighted as 0.65 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting).”
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Then you will need a bit more information than just your overall year 2 and year 3 grades.

“8.22. Calculation of Final Grade and Classification of Honours Degree
8.22.1. With the exception of the Level 5 and Level 6 students recorded at 8.23 below, the final degree mark for all students is calculated by applying the following method:
the weighted marks using best 200 credits at Level 5 and Level 6,(100 credits at Level 5 and 100 credits at Level 6), with Level 5 weighted as 0.35 and Level 6 weighted as 0.65 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting).
8.22.2. For students on Top-Up courses or who only study at Level 6 the final degree mark is calculated by using best 100 credits at Level 6 alone (Method ofCalculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module).
8.22.3. The classification of Honours Degrees awarded shall be made according to the following scale, rounded up or down to the nearest whole number:
Mark
Classification
70% - 100% 60% - 69% 50% - 59% 40% - 49% 0% – 39%
First Class Honours
Second Class Honours, Upper Division Second Class Honours, Lower Division Third Class Honours
Fail
A higher classification shall be awarded if the final degree mark is not more than 2% below the lower boundary of the classification to be awarded, and either:
a) at least 120 credits across Level 5 and Level 6 are from modules with marks in or above that classification;
OR
University of West London - Academic Regulations 2020-21 47

b) at least 60 Level 6 credits are from modules with marks in or abovethat classification.
8.23. Variations to Calculation of Final Grade
8.23.1. For students progressing to either Level 5 or Level 6 in 2019-20, and those progressing to Level 6 in 2020-21 only, the final degree mark will be calculated by applying one of the three methods below, whichever produces the highest score:
a) the weighted marks using the best 100 credits at Level 5 and the best 100 credits at Level 6, with Level 5 weighted as 0.5 and Level 6 weighted as 0.5 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting);
OR
b) the marks using the best 100 credits at Level 6 alone (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module).
OR
c) the weighted marks using best 200 credits at Level 5 and Level 6,(100 credits at Level 5 and 100 credits at Level 6), with Level 5 weighted as 0.35 and Level 6 weighted as 0.65 (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module x module level weighting).”
Thank you for this.

Am I correct in thinking its my average score divided by 100 x 0.35 and the same calculation but x 0.65?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for this.

Am I correct in thinking its my average score divided by 100 x 0.35 and the same calculation but x 0.65?
No.
You need your highest 100 credits from each year not your overall average.
You also need to do the three calculations at the bottom and see which gives you the highest classification.
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
Thank you
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
All the different methods are causing me a bit of confusion. If I give someone my best grades from the 100 credits in level 5 and level 6 could someone be kind enough to work it out for me?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
All the different methods are causing me a bit of confusion. If I give someone my best grades from the 100 credits in level 5 and level 6 could someone be kind enough to work it out for me?
You shouldn't post your results here ... why not wait?
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You shouldn't post your results here ... why not wait?
Sorry, I was going to send them to someone via private message not post on here. I have a long wait to find out my classification.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sorry, I was going to send them to someone via private message not post on here. I have a long wait to find out my classification.
It's going to be 2i or a 1st so it really isn't crucial - both are great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise