SoOriginalX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
i didn't really try hard for my GCSEs mainly because I only liked a handful of my subjects like maths, physics, biology, chemistry, computer science
and geography

i didn't pay that much attention to English in which I ended with a 4 in language and a 6 in literature

i want to do engineering at imperial because I've done a lot of extracurriculars and im predicted high grades for all 3 of my subjects
but i dont know if my english grade will be a problem should i retake it?
pxrx_dx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SoOriginalX)
i didn't really try hard for my GCSEs mainly because I only liked a handful of my subjects like maths, physics, biology, chemistry, computer science
and geography

i didn't pay that much attention to English in which I ended with a 4 in language and a 6 in literature

i want to do engineering at imperial because I've done a lot of extracurriculars and im predicted high grades for all 3 of my subjects
Have you checked the requirements for the course on their website?
I'm sure you need at least a 5 or 6 in language but double-check what GCSE's they consider.
imaanali1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
and geography

It seems like you should just check requirements but it all seems fine. What extra curriculars have you taken? They may help you if they are of good quality relating to engineering.
SoOriginalX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by imaanali1)
It seems like you should just check requirements but it all seems fine. What extra curriculars have you taken? They may help you if they are of good quality relating to engineering.
for now, engineering masterclasses at my sixth form but also I checked to see the requirements and it said I could take an English language proficiency test
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

i want to do engineering at imperial because I've done a lot of extracurriculars and im predicted high grades for all 3 of my subjects but i dont know if my english grade will be a problem should i retake it?
Your English grade will be a show stopper, there is an absolute requirement for a grade 6 or higher at GCSE or an equivalent.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/a...ments/english/

The course is super competitive and no amount of extracurriculars will make up for your current grade, so if you are serious about applying to Imperial or other universities with this (rather common) language requirement then you need to retake.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 2 months ago
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
and geography

Hi SoOriginalX, I'm Maya and I'm a student rep from Imperial.

As Mr Wednesday has indicated, your English Language grade does not currently meet Imperial's requirement of a Grade 6 at GCSE. To apply to Imperial, you would need to retake your English Language GCSE or meet the English language requirement via an alternative qualification accepted by Imperial.
Last edited by Imperial students; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Imperial students)
Hi SoOriginalX, I'm Maya and I'm a student rep from Imperial.

As Mr Wednesday has indicated, your English Language grade does not currently meet Imperial's requirement of a Grade 6 at GCSE. To apply to Imperial, you would need to retake your English Language GCSE or meet the English language requirement via an alternative qualification accepted by Imperial.
Does that mean you can't apply to Imperial or you can't study there without a 6? I thought you could get an offer even without a 6 but have to retake it as part of your offer...
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does that mean you can't apply to Imperial or you can't study there without a 6? I thought you could get an offer even without a 6 but have to retake it as part of your offer...
They can be picky so you need a 6 before you apply ... there are plenty of good Engineering unis which you should look at. don't get fixated on Imperial.
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am not certain, so it would be worth contacting admissions teams for potential courses to clarify whether this would be the case. I personally would advise anyone that does not meet the English language requirement to attempt to retake before applying if at all possible so that there is one less condition to fulfil as part of a hypothetical offer. If you retake an English language qualification during your final year of A-Levels, that's another added distraction that could impact your A-Level performance.

Maya
Last edited by Imperial students; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I emailed Imperial and they said an alternative English language qualification is acceptable, like the Duolingo English Test (even or native speakers/home applicants) - it's cheaper and easier than the GCSE, plus you don't have to look for a centre to take it at since it's online. The results come in 2 days and the test itself is 1 hour, so it won't really disrupt A-Level studies.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
*for, not or within the brackets.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.65%
I need help researching courses (11)
6.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.82%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.49%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.81%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.83%

Watched Threads