The Student Room Group

Are jobs allowed not to pay you for training?

Hi,

I have a temporary job as a sales assistant at Clark’s.

It’s pays minimum wage which is a bit of a bummer but I knew that before I applied.

What I am having an issue with is that they expect us to complete Clarks Academy which is online and takes quite a while without getting paid?

Combined with it being a minimum wage job and lack of payment for training, I’m questioning whether this is legal?

Thank you
Original post by Whatisizekiah
Hi,

It’s pays minimum wage which is a bit of a bummer but I knew that before I applied.

What I am having an issue with is that they expect us to complete Clarks Academy which is online and takes quite a while without getting paid?

Combined with it being a minimum wage job and lack of payment for training, I’m questioning whether this is legal?

Thank you

Below are various points on training online outwith your contractual hours.

Do work have to pay you for training......
Whether you must be paid for training in your job will depend on your contract of employment and also the nature of your job. If unpaid training is mentioned in your contract of employment, it may be that you are not entitled to pay.
Should I be paid for online training at home UK.........

Your employer must pay you for any time you spend on mandatory training. They must pay you the same amount as they would for your normal working hours.

Is it illegal to not pay for training UK.....
Your employer must pay you for any time you spend on mandatory training. They must pay you the same amount as they would for your normal working hours. 'Mandatory training' is any training that your employer says you need to do.

******************"
( Legally, employers do not have to pay employees if they request time off for training or study that isn't required for them to carry out their job. ... So, employees should be paid for any time that's taken to undertake this. ).

Can an employer pay you less for training.....
The simple rule is that any training that an employer requires its employees to attend is compensable. This is true even if the employee is learning their job for the first time or whether the employer is sending the employee for training to improve their skills and knowledge or to re-certify.
Original post by Allyson2020
Below are various points on training online outwith your contractual hours.

Do work have to pay you for training......
Whether you must be paid for training in your job will depend on your contract of employment and also the nature of your job. If unpaid training is mentioned in your contract of employment, it may be that you are not entitled to pay.
Should I be paid for online training at home UK.........

Your employer must pay you for any time you spend on mandatory training. They must pay you the same amount as they would for your normal working hours.

Is it illegal to not pay for training UK.....
Your employer must pay you for any time you spend on mandatory training. They must pay you the same amount as they would for your normal working hours. 'Mandatory training' is any training that your employer says you need to do.

******************"
( Legally, employers do not have to pay employees if they request time off for training or study that isn't required for them to carry out their job. ... So, employees should be paid for any time that's taken to undertake this. ).

Can an employer pay you less for training.....
The simple rule is that any training that an employer requires its employees to attend is compensable. This is true even if the employee is learning their job for the first time or whether the employer is sending the employee for training to improve their skills and knowledge or to re-certify.

Thank you very much!
if you think about apprenticeships the pay is really low when you’re training, don’t know what the pay is like after you secure a permanent position.
Thank you very much!

No worries as hopefully that will help you on this matter.
Hi,

Thank you

Do you get payed for training at clarks?
You MUST get paid for training! There's no other way around it- you're working either way.

Quick Reply

Latest