The Student Room Group

need help with psychology a level paper 2 2020

Can anyone pls help me and tell me what questions comes up and what are the essay questions? please help me!
Original post by Issygaming
Can anyone pls help me and tell me what questions comes up and what are the essay questions? please help me!

No. They are locked for teacher use only.]

I can give you tips on how to revise if that is helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
No. They are locked for teacher use only.]

I can give you tips on how to revise if that is helpful.

yeah that would be good aswell
Original post by Issygaming
yeah that would be good aswell

What do you struggle with in Psychology? The content or how to answer exam-questions? Or a bit of both?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
What do you struggle with in Psychology? The content or how to answer exam-questions? Or a bit of both?

a bit of both
but mostly exam questions
A-Level Psychology can be split up into two parts:

- Content (AO1)
- Evaluation (AO3)

To learnt the content, I suggest you condense the information in the textbook and make flashcards, mind maps, brief notes etc. Whatever works for you.

To learn the evaluation:

I have taken an evaluation paragraph (attached) from the textbook based on Asch's study of conformity. Perhaps, read up on it so this makes a bit more sense!

The general layout that I was taught is PEEL:
P - Point - Is it a strength or a weakness? What is the weakness/strength of the study/content?
E - Evidence - Pick out a bit of evidence that proves your point.
E - Explanation - Expand on what makes it a weakness. Be careful to not give more evidence - it won't get you the mark.
L - Link - Conclude on your point. Make sure your link is not your point re-worded.

Using PEEL in Asch's study:

Point - The paragraph is saying that the study is a 'child of its time'. In other words, it is suggesting the study is outdated.
When writing out your point I would always refer back to the question as a starting point - for example as the question is focusing on Asch's study I would start out with:
'One weakness of Asch's study into conformity is that... and then end of with the point which is 'it is a child of its time' or 'it is outdated'.

Evidence - In this case, the evidence is that there was McCarthyism going on at the time.
When writing out the evidence I would start with 'For example...' or 'This is supported by...' and then end of with the evidence.

Explanation - What about McCarthyism affected this study? In this case, at the time when there was McCarthyism in America, conformity was more likely as people were scared to go against the majority.
When writing out the explanation I would start with 'This suggests...' and then end of with the explanation.

Link - Conclude on your point. In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid then and could not be re-created due to the events at that time.
Remember to not make your point and conclusion the same. Chances are you won't get the mark!

So if we put this together we get an evaluation paragraph:
One weakness of Asch's study into conformity is that it is a child of its time. For example, there was McCarthyism going on at the time, a strong anti-Communist period. This suggests that due to the events at the time, the participants would conform into the majority due to fear of punishment. In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid then and could not be re-created due to the events at that time.

@Issygaming
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
A-Level Psychology can be split up into two parts:

- Content (AO1)
- Evaluation (AO3)

To learnt the content, I suggest you condense the information in the textbook and make flashcards, mind maps, brief notes etc. Whatever works for you.

To learn the evaluation:

I have taken an evaluation paragraph (attached) from the textbook based on Asch's study of conformity. Perhaps, read up on it so this makes a bit more sense!

The general layout that I was taught is PEEL:
P - Point - Is it a strength or a weakness? What is the weakness/strength of the study/content?
E - Evidence - Pick out a bit of evidence that proves your point.
E - Explanation - Expand on what makes it a weakness. Be careful to not give more evidence - it won't get you the mark.
L - Link - Conclude on your point. Make sure your link is not your point re-worded.

Using PEEL in Asch's study:

Point - The paragraph is saying that the study is a 'child of its time'. In other words, it is suggesting the study is outdated.
When writing out your point I would always refer back to the question as a starting point - for example as the question is focusing on Asch's study I would start out with:
'One weakness of Asch's study into conformity is that... and then end of with the point which is 'it is a child of its time' or 'it is outdated'.

Evidence - In this case, the evidence is that there was McCarthyism going on at the time.
When writing out the evidence I would start with 'For example...' or 'This is supported by...' and then end of with the evidence.

Explanation - What about McCarthyism affected this study? In this case, at the time when there was McCarthyism in America, conformity was more likely as people were scared to go against the majority.
When writing out the explanation I would start with 'This suggests...' and then end of with the explanation.

Link - Conclude on your point. In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid then and could not be re-created due to the events at that time.
Remember to not make your point and conclusion the same. Chances are you won't get the mark!

So if we put this together we get an evaluation paragraph:
One weakness of Asch's study into conformity is that it is a child of its time. For example, there was McCarthyism going on at the time, a strong anti-Communist period. This suggests that due to the events at the time, the participants would conform into the majority due to fear of punishment. In conclusion, Asch’s study was only valid then and could not be re-created due to the events at that time.

@Issygaming

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest