The Student Room Group

What is considered as a high number of UCAS points?

I'm nto sure how to get a load of points too. What can you do that can be accounted for in ucas points other than A levels?
Does EPQ count too?
Yes an epqcounts but it's worth half the points of an alevel
High dance and music grades (as well as some other things) can count towards UCAS points, though be careful to concentrate on your studies instead of padding out your score with extracurriculars! A link with useful information can be found here: https://www.ncchomelearning.co.uk/blog/ucas-points-explained/
I'd say 180+.
Original post by 2026_helia
I'm nto sure how to get a load of points too. What can you do that can be accounted for in ucas points other than A levels?
Does EPQ count too?

Hi there! Rather than thinking about getting as many points as possible, consider looking at the courses you want to study at a few different universities and using that as a target. You may want to set yourself an "Aspirational" target that you can achieve if you really push yourself, a few "Middle" targets that you should be able to achieve and one or two "Safe" targets that you know you can achieve.

Each university will state their minimum requirements, either in terms of UCAS Points or in terms of minimum A-level grades. Sometimes, a university may make you a lower offer based on your Personal Statement and not just your raw academic performance.

There are many ways to gain UCAS points, and you can get a good idea of what those are by using UCAS’ Tariff Calculator. Just keep in mind that not all universities (or courses) use these as a baseline - do your research on university websites and prospectuses. If you have any questions, email the universities that you’re interested in - they’ll be more than happy to help!

~ Mikael - UoP Student Rep :h:
Note that not all universities use the UCAS points system and so therefore doing additional non-academic qualifications to "pad" your points total will not make a difference for unis that don't use it and only make offers on the basis of A-level/IB/BTEC/etc grades.
Reply 6
Original post by urlocalinmate
I'd say 180+.

You have high standards! :eek: More than 3A*s? I'd have though 140+ was high, since that's about 3 As and I've not seen any courses which work in tariff points ask for more than 130ish
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi there! Rather than thinking about getting as many points as possible, consider looking at the courses you want to study at a few different universities and using that as a target. You may want to set yourself an "Aspirational" target that you can achieve if you really push yourself, a few "Middle" targets that you should be able to achieve and one or two "Safe" targets that you know you can achieve.

Each university will state their minimum requirements, either in terms of UCAS Points or in terms of minimum A-level grades. Sometimes, a university may make you a lower offer based on your Personal Statement and not just your raw academic performance.

There are many ways to gain UCAS points, and you can get a good idea of what those are by using UCAS’ Tariff Calculator. Just keep in mind that not all universities (or courses) use these as a baseline - do your research on university websites and prospectuses. If you have any questions, email the universities that you’re interested in - they’ll be more than happy to help!

~ Mikael - UoP Student Rep :h:

you've been awesome with this reply, thank you.
Original post by Interea
You have high standards! :eek: More than 3A*s? I'd have though 140+ was high, since that's about 3 As and I've not seen any courses which work in tariff points ask for more than 130ish

I included both A and AS-Levels. 128 for A-Levels alone. I have no standards, I've only passed one AS mock, and it was an E lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending