questions about applying from USA to lse,ucl,imperial

Watch
junbin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am currently studying in the USA and I just finished my junior year. I took 3 AP tests this year which were physics B, Calculus BC, and US history. I think my score will be 5,4,3 in order. I have SAT score of 1500 but I am planning on taking another SAT test in a month. Also in my senior year, I am going to take AP micro, macro, stats, and computer science. I was wondering if I be able to get all 5s on those 4 subjects, will I be able to get offers from any schools I mentioned above(else,ucl, imperial)

i want to learn math and statistical science, subject related to stats and math together.

My final predicted grades is 5555543 on AP and SAT 1500.

my GPA in highschool was always over 3.8/4.0

will these grades be enough to get an offer from any of these unis?
kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Obligatory not an American so take this with a huge grain of salt:

What are the exact names of the courses you're thinking of applying for?

The five 5s (or at least predicted by your HS that) sound fantastic; the only thing that might be an issue is the lack of 5 in Calc BC. I know, for LSE, the US equivalent of an A/A* maths A-level requirement is a 5 in calc BC. I'm not sure about UCL or Imperial.

The biggest hurdle US applicants have to overcome when applying to UK universities is competing with the breadth UK students have, especially in subjects which are commonly available at A-level, of which maths is. For the majority of UK unis, as long as you meet the entry requirements and have a decent personal statement, you're in, but for the few at the top that are very selective and do have to unfortunately turn away qualified applicants and applicants are thus competing for places, US students face an uphill battle because of this hurdle.

For example, my friend applied for maths at both Imperial and UCL - she did both maths and further maths at A-level, meaning that half of what she studied for junior and senior was maths: that's the kind of applicant you have to compete with if you're applying for maths.

Would you be able to retake the calc BC exam next year if you don't get a 5? I know all schools are different, but would there be any way of doing dual enrollment at a CC to take a calc class beyond BC?
Last edited by kamara41; 2 months ago
junbin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Actually this year i took the Calc BC test and expecting my grades to come out. I am not fully sure but I think I can get a 5. The thing I am concerned the most is I have seen people having 7 AP courses with 5 on it and also having a decent SAT score which makes me nervous. My best is getting 5 on 5APs including Calc BC and getting 1500 on SAT.

On top of that I am not sure if 1500 on SAT will be good enough as top UK universities only write on minimum SAT scores.

And yeah as you said I need to go agiasnt the A level students who have A*AA or something higher which makes my grades weaker than theirs.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Something to note is in the UK all applications for university are made through UCAS (which is somewhat like the common app), however you can only apply to a maximum of 5 unis, and you only get one personal statement (like the essays for college admissions, but usually shorter and more academics focused) for all universities you apply to.

There are no courses that are offered by all of LSE, UCL, and Imperial - so it is somewhat unlikely you could apply to all three simultaneously anyway, without making yourself less competitive for one or two of them depending on which one(s) you align your personal statement to compared to the others. Note also that LSE are extremely focused on the personal statement and it's a very important part of the application for LSE - so if you are applying there it's generally advised to tailor your personal statement somewhat to their course.

Also, for what it's worth, neither LSE nor UCL are that strong as maths departments relative to Imperial. LSE's maths department mainly exists to furnish courses for its other departments (primarily its flagship economics courses), and UCL is a good maths department but definitely not in the same league as Imperial. Generally the top maths departments in the UK are considered to be, in no particular order, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, and Warwick, then those are followed by Bristol somewhat distantly, the other strong maths departments like UCL, Edinburgh, Durham, and so on after Bristol.

However as above having a 4 and not a 5 in AP Calc BC will probably kill a maths application to any of those unis and most strong maths departments. You might want to consider taking that AP exam again to see if you can get a 5; whether or not that is acceptable for those unis, or possible in the US, I don't know though. Alternately if your school offers any similarly advanced math classes (or if you can take them for credit from a nearby college/CC) you could try and supplement things with that (e.g. linear algebra or differential equations or something).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise