The Student Room Group

How are covid infections rising so much when 90% have immunity

90% of british people have some form of immunity to covid, most of which is through the vaccine. So how on earth are infections still happening? Like why haven't infections just stopped or at least slowed down. it doesn't make sense how things are now as bad in terms of daily cases as the second wve.
Reply 1
Original post by Ferrograd
90% of british people have some form of immunity to covid, most of which is through the vaccine. So how on earth are infections still happening? Like why haven't infections just stopped or at least slowed down. it doesn't make sense how things are now as bad in terms of daily cases as the second wve.

The vaccine doesn't - and was never supposed to - provide total immunity.
Do u think another lockdown is possible?
Maybe not everyone has taken the vaccine
Original post by Paranoiaa
Do u think another lockdown is possible?

Anything's possible knowing this crackpot government, but I wouldn't tolerate it. They said the vaccine would be the end of it all. The goalposts have shifted so far
a) The vaccines are designed to stop you getting seriously unwell, not to stop transmission, (although they have some benefits in that regards)
b) New variants might be resistant to vaccines, or the immune response in people who have had COVID once might have subsided enough that they catch it again.
c) Lots of young people have only had one dose, (and the very young won't have had any)
Anything's possible knowing this crackpot government, but I wouldn't tolerate it. They said the vaccine would be the end of it all. The goalposts have shifted so far

True, I just wanna know how many deaths a day it will take for them to lock it down again. Or some new variant to come and sweep the place ffs
Reply 7
Original post by Paranoiaa
True, I just wanna know how many deaths a day it will take for them to lock it down again. Or some new variant to come and sweep the place ff

From what I have seen they will consider lockdown when/if deaths reach over 1k /day in the UK. But if hospital admissions rise to unsustainable levels that will also be a trigger for another lockdown.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8

According to the ZOE study (read:Tim Specter and the Imperial College of London), accoding to their real time data which mostly aligns to the ONS (Office of National Statistics), although they lag behind a few weeks on publication, cases are in fact starting to level off irregardless of what you are seeing reported on the news.
I think it’s due to people becoming more and more lenient to following the rules. The amount of cases seems just as high as before, but it’s hard to compare the first waves with the current day. Like cases were really high before, and that’s when more people were staying at home. Cases had started to decrease, which caused more people to stop following the rules. Now cases are really high again, and less people are staying at home so it seems like it will keep increasing until another lockdown. It’s like an endless cycle of cases going up and down.
Reply 10
Despite the high number of cases, actual deaths are still far below other established illnesses such as influenza and pneumonia. This indicates that the vaccines are doing their job, which is to stop serious illness and death. I'd like to hope that a knee-jerk lockdown isn't on the way, but you never know with this government. It is worth noting that the current total excess deaths figure is in line with the average, as opposed to the last two peaks when it was significantly elevated.

My personal thoughts are we just need to press on with the vaccination program and continue with our lives. We are not going to get to zero cases, so there is no point chasing it.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest