What factors must be considered when comparing two treatments for a disease?

Watch this thread
2026_helia
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have brainstormed the following;
- cost effectiveness
- longevity of effect(s) - short and long term, on physcial and mental well being, such as side effects and benefits
- accessibility
- the target population - if everyone can use it, if not why not, what types of people are compatible with this type of treatment
Is there any more, do you think? If so, could you kindly let me know?
I'm writing a dissertation on comparing the treatments LCIG (Levodopa-carbidopa Intestinal Gel) and DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation), on parkinsonson disease.

thank you very much!
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
You could look at things like:
Efficacy
Speed of onset of action
Safety profile
Route of administration- how could this affect QoL
How much would it prevent disease progression- you can probably go into a lot of depth
patient reported outcomes- patients perspectives after receiving treatments (which are often quantified via surveys)
Any co-morbidities or risk factors
2026_helia
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by lilGem)
You could look at things like:
Efficacy
Speed of onset of action
Safety profile
Route of administration- how could this affect QoL
How much would it prevent disease progression- you can probably go into a lot of depth
patient reported outcomes- patients perspectives after receiving treatments (which are often quantified via surveys)
Any co-morbidities or risk factors
Hello
thank you very much for this, I have a few questions for you; what do you mean by QoL?
for preventing disease progression - this is a noncommunicable disease therefore it cannot spread, and there is no current way of prevention of Parkinsons, only symptomatic treatments - there is no current cure for parkinsons. So if this is what you mean by how much it prevents disease, I think we can agree I can safely cross that factor out?
Also, how can I be aware if I've included all the necessary factors I need to evaluate?
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 2026_helia)
Hello
thank you very much for this, I have a few questions for you; what do you mean by QoL?
for preventing disease progression - this is a noncommunicable disease therefore it cannot spread, and there is no current way of prevention of Parkinsons, only symptomatic treatments - there is no current cure for parkinsons. So if this is what you mean by how much it prevents disease, I think we can agree I can safely cross that factor out?
Also, how can I be aware if I've included all the necessary factors I need to evaluate?
QoL= Quality of Life

I am also well aware that it is a noncommunicable disease. By disease progression I mean mild, moderate or advanced stages and how quickly or slowly patients 'progress' through these stages

If you look at clinical trials or current reviews of treatments for Parkinson's it can help give you an idea of how data is compared in the real world and how this is measured.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (16)
18.18%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (30)
34.09%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.68%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.14%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
10.23%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
20.45%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
5.68%

Watched Threads