kenny00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I want to be a Vet surgeon but with my GCSE score they can get me to A-levels but I don't think I will be able to get As.

I was wondering if I could do BETC In like Animal management, Animal care, vet nursing or applied science.

I've picked animal management but is it the right course? If I change to vet nursing could I do vet medicine and surgery in the future?

I want to do the Gateway vet medicine at the University of Nottingham if I'm able to.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rhetorical answer: Can one become a Pope if they are not Catholic?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Some universities may accept the animal management diploma (see RVC https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergra...tended-diploma) however they still expect 5 GCSE's at grade 7 or above.

I would not recommend studying veterinary nursing if you want to be a vet - it will be very depressing working around people all day doing the job you actually wished to do, and the two careers are very different. Similarly it does not leave a great impression on the university if you do one then apply to the other - it indicates a lack of research into careers.
Vanessa.001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you go to college instead of taking A levels BTEC Animal Management is the best one to take, however, likewise as some of the other comments it may not get you into all unis. May be worth asking the uni you’re interested in applying for what they accept. The people I know who got onto vet courses all took A levels. In saying that not all of them got the grades they needed first time around and retook them the year(s) after, so if it’s something you really want to do just keep working at it and have some confidence in yourself!
KarenUoN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At Nottingham we consider a wide range of qualifications for our Prelim course…BTEC, Access courses, VN qualifications etc are all fine.
Gracie009
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kenny00)
Hi, I want to be a Vet surgeon but with my GCSE score they can get me to A-levels but I don't think I will be able to get As.

I was wondering if I could do BETC In like Animal management, Animal care, vet nursing or applied science.

I've picked animal management but is it the right course? If I change to vet nursing could I do vet medicine and surgery in the future?

I want to do the Gateway vet medicine at the University of Nottingham if I'm able to.
I would take a look at the RVC gateway course as they accept students who take Animal management extended diploma level 3 and you only need grades 4 at gcse for the gateway however higher would be better. Whereas Nottingham university requires higher GCSEs and want 6s in bio, Chem and maths if you have that then I’d recommend applying for both to widen your chances. Remember if you do not get accepted on these grounds there are other routes, granted they will take longer a few years of extra study shouldn’t deter you if being a veterinary surgeon is what you really want to do. Which would involve a few extra years of study of AS chemistry or A levels in order to get approved.Alternatively you could just chose to do A levels as you don’t always need all As on most preliminary or gateway courses all you would need are 3 Cs, it is much easier to get into veterinary medicine if you have A levels in chemistry and biology as opposed to a BTEC diploma which will also limit your options massively and who knows you may surprise yourself and get higher than expected.
Last edited by Gracie009; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed