The Student Room Group

Things to do over summer instead of sitting on my phone 24/7??

Anyone got ideas of things to do over summer? Can literally be anything from basics to the extreme, ordinary or extra go for it lol
What do you study? That's if you are at Uni, of course. You could always do a placement for a month, depending on the area you study.
Prep for next school year (boring but might be useful, depending what year you're in)
Exercise is probably good for you and can be enjoyable
Hobbies - if you have any go-tos then do those, and/or start out in other things to find more things your interested in and develop other skills like cooking etc (just remember you're on holiday; don't force yourself to do things you don't like for the sake of doing them, but also don't stay only doing things you know you like (sitting on your phone 24/7)

have fun!

if you have nobody to see / no commitments, forget about the words 'sleep schedule' and wake up super early or go to bed super late
Original post by NovaeSci
What do you study? That's if you are at Uni, of course. You could always do a placement for a month, depending on the area you study.

I'm in year 10 (well going into year 11 in september) lol but thanks
get a summer job
Bake cupcakes/brownies/cookies and become a pro cake decorator, write a short story, paint something, read a really good book or listen to an audiobook, visit a new town/city with your friends, or by yourself, go on a shopping spree, redecorate/rearrange your room, watch a new film, or an old favourite, find a new series to watch, visit a crafts store and try making something, buy a journal and write in it everyday, go to a local café and take a book/your laptop, volunteer at a local charity shop, take a load of photos, edit them + make a photography Insta page, make a fanpage for your pet (if you have any), make a scrapbook and fill it with memories of you with friends/family, play an online game, explore new bands/songs on Spotify, take a self care/spa day at home, do a giant jigsaw puzzle, research deep questions, watch videos on conspiracy theories.

LOL, enjoy:wink:
Reply 6
I used to go on private land and practice driving when I was this age so you could try that, get your parents car, find some land, get permission and practice clutch control etc
Original post by ArcticChimera
Bake cupcakes/brownies/cookies and become a pro cake decorator, write a short story, paint something, read a really good book or listen to an audiobook, visit a new town/city with your friends, or by yourself, go on a shopping spree, redecorate/rearrange your room, watch a new film, or an old favourite, find a new series to watch, visit a crafts store and try making something, buy a journal and write in it everyday, go to a local café and take a book/your laptop, volunteer at a local charity shop, take a load of photos, edit them + make a photography Insta page, make a fanpage for your pet (if you have any), make a scrapbook and fill it with memories of you with friends/family, play an online game, explore new bands/songs on Spotify, take a self care/spa day at home, do a giant jigsaw puzzle, research deep questions, watch videos on conspiracy theories.

LOL, enjoy:wink:

Woahhhh thanks 😂
Original post by Shed guy
I used to go on private land and practice driving when I was this age so you could try that, get your parents car, find some land, get permission and practice clutch control etc

My parents have only just got the car fixed there's no way they'll let me drive it 😂
Original post by lucyyy12
get a summer job

I tried but nobody will take me on until I'm 16
Get a hobby
You shouldn’t sit on your phone . You could damage it .
maybe you could try every single fast food pizza chain and then sell an article to buzzfeed or a similar entertainment website about your experiences
- Become super-fit and do obstacle courses while listening to 'Hearts on fire'. Maybe ever parkour it like Mirror's edge.
- Read books without distraction so you're brain doesn't rot
- Learn to shoot bow and arrow for the coming apocalypse. Gain hunting and sneaking skills for use against humans, should there be any kind of 'purge' scenario.
This might sound cliche, but learn any programming language, are you into UI design? do some HTML and CSS and look into some Javascript Librarys that make nice front end websites, Like Maths and Data? Learn Python and use pandas and numPy, Matplotlib.pyplot and Seaborn and make nice data plots, freecodecamp is a great site for this or videos on youtube, not only will this allow you to add another skill but you can express other interest through coding, for visual learners you have some great videos on youtube. This is also another skill you can develop for the world of work and it shows independent study as well.

As much as people say prepare for next year in school I would probably recommend against that, summer is an opportunity to take a break from schooling and learn new things and discover new passions, there are lots of opportunities to learn new things and at your age you can afford to fail at new activities so why not try new things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Workout?
In general, summer vacation is to rest, but I can no longer sit idle. Because already my whole body hurts, even though I do sports. I personally started to learn design art, which is related to Google Docs. I really like it when a document looks like a newspaper template. But I don't really understand it yet, maybe you'll like it and learn it. In any case, it's very interesting and develops your imagination.
(edited 2 years ago)
Get fit, loose some weight and train for Race for Life / Fun Run / Half Marathon in the autumn - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

Quick Reply

Latest