The Student Room Group

computer science uni?????????

I only did computer science at GCSE but I want to do it at university even though I don't have much background knowledge, what can I do to increase the chance of unis accepting me as I currently dont have much to write on my personal statement

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't spend your money if you can not go to top tier university...
Original post by d.ona
I want to do it at university even though I don't have much background knowledge

So why do you want to study CS....?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
So why do you want to study CS....?

I find it interesting and I have always wanted to code, its also got great job prospects and I dont think theres anything else i wann do
Original post by d.ona
I find it interesting and I have always wanted to code, its also got great job prospects and I dont think theres anything else i wann do

You want to code, but are you able to code? If you cannot, you need to start learning it. Also did you maths or furthermaths for alevel? If so, you can apply with these grades, as computer science is not necessary. Also, what unis are you planning to apply for?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by godofhammers
You want to code, but are you able to code? If you cannot, you need to start learning it. Also did you maths or furthermaths for alevel? If so, you can apply with these grades, as computer science is not necessary. Also, what unis are you planning to apply for?

Also could you tell us what alevels you did, and what you are predicted for these?
Original post by d.ona
I only did computer science at GCSE but I want to do it at university even though I don't have much background knowledge, what can I do to increase the chance of unis accepting me as I currently dont have much to write on my personal statement

Nearly all universities dont require CS. Most will require Maths A level. Do you have it..
Why don’t you learn to code and write some kind of a program to show your passion and demonstrate the skill?

Coding is not difficult and there are plenty of good online resources to learn from. I’ve been working as a programmer for 7 years now and I still heavily rely on online resources for training.

My personal favourite website is Udemy. As a new member you can get almost any course for £12 and let me tell you from experience, they are well worth the money.

If you have any questions about programming or the job, I might be able to answer them.
Reply 8

I did maths and I did some programming with VB at GCSE level but I have forgotten most so now I am planning on learning python and I want to know about HTML too

Also could you tell us what alevels you did, and what you are predicted for these?

I did maths chem and bio, very unrelated ik:confused: but i jus chose what subjects I was good at. Im getting my predicted grades on wednesday so I will tell you then
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Nearly all universities dont require CS. Most will require Maths A level. Do you have it..

Yes i do!!!

Original post by Domainski
Why don’t you learn to code and write some kind of a program to show your passion and demonstrate the skill?

Coding is not difficult and there are plenty of good online resources to learn from. I’ve been working as a programmer for 7 years now and I still heavily rely on online resources for training.

My personal favourite website is Udemy. As a new member you can get almost any course for £12 and let me tell you from experience, they are well worth the money.

If you have any questions about programming or the job, I might be able to answer them.

Can you send me good courses on UDEMY? I saw a youtube video on learning python and he said to get pycharm but when i tried , even writing print("hello world") wasn't working for some reason . Did you do computer science at university?
Reply 10

I dont know what unis yet as I want to go to open days and see for myself but birmingham , nottingham , bristol may be possibilities. Can you recommend some that are great for the course?
Original post by d.ona
Yes i do!!!

Can you send me good courses on UDEMY? I saw a youtube video on learning python and he said to get pycharm but when i tried , even writing print("hello world") wasn't working for some reason . Did you do computer science at university?

As long as you have Maths A level normally grade A you will OK for most universities. Nottingham used to be the one that prefers Computing. As far as universities everybody is different and what is right for one isnt for another. Look through the courses and decide from there
Original post by d.ona
I did maths chem and bio, very unrelated ik:confused: but i jus chose what subjects I was good at. Im getting my predicted grades on wednesday so I will tell you then

These are very unrelated to computer science, I am not 100% sure but these will probably put you lower than people who did subjects that are related to computer science. As well as that, what year group are you in? Just to know how much you have till uni.

Also what grade did you get for computer science gcse?
Reply 13
As long as you have a strong maths a level, you should stand a chance, do stuff that demonstrates your passion for CS.
Talk about your VB project at GCSE and what you enjoyed about it, talk about interesting things you code while learning python or how enjoyable it was to see that website come together after learning HTML.

Find fields in computer science that interest you, such as machine learning/artificial intelligence, read books/articles about those or attend events about it if there are any. Then talk about this in your PS etc.

Read general CS books like 'The Code Book' and 'The Turing Omnibus' and mention what you find interesting there.

CS is a very big field, you may feel like doing chem and bio puts you at a small disadvantage, but you can turn this into a strength pretty easily. Look up and research how computer science, machine learning and AI is used in chemistry and biology and say you're very interested in how CS can advance these two fields hence why you picked them etc etc

There are lots of things you can do to demonstrate an interest in it, as long as you do a good variety of stuff + combine it together into a nice reading personal statement + good grades (aim for A/A* in maths), then you should be fine.
Good Maths and Further Maths A Level grades. Computer Science isn't required at A Level.

Grab yourself a Raspberry Pi. Play around, get used to unix and terminal. Have fun building some projects.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-7
This course is pretty good for a basic introduction to Computer Science. Runs a few times a year. Other MOOCs also may be of value.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by d.ona

I don’t know about Python but this should be a good course: https://www.udemy.com/share/101Wai2@PUdgV2FKWlQOe0RHBXt+TD5tYA==/

Tim Buchalka is one of the creators and I’m currently going through his Java course which is good.

Looks like the PyCharm IDE is from Jet Brains so I would expect it to be very good. The IntelliJ IDE they have is awesome and it looks like that’s what Tim is using in his course.

One of the good things about Udemy is that you can ask questions related to the lessons you are going through and often other students help you out. If that fails you can even message the course creators directly and they do get back to you.

I didn’t do Computer Science at university, I did Computer Games Software Development because I was purely interested in programming.
Reply 16
These are very unrelated to computer science, I am not 100% sure but these will probably put you lower than people who did subjects that are related to computer science. As well as that, what year group are you in? Just to know how much you have till uni.

Also what grade did you get for computer science gcse?

I'm in year 12 and in my GCSE as it was cancelled I only got 7, but i was getting 8/9s
Reply 17
Original post by Rarest
As long as you have a strong maths a level, you should stand a chance, do stuff that demonstrates your passion for CS.
Talk about your VB project at GCSE and what you enjoyed about it, talk about interesting things you code while learning python or how enjoyable it was to see that website come together after learning HTML.

Find fields in computer science that interest you, such as machine learning/artificial intelligence, read books/articles about those or attend events about it if there are any. Then talk about this in your PS etc.

Read general CS books like 'The Code Book' and 'The Turing Omnibus' and mention what you find interesting there.

CS is a very big field, you may feel like doing chem and bio puts you at a small disadvantage, but you can turn this into a strength pretty easily. Look up and research how computer science, machine learning and AI is used in chemistry and biology and say you're very interested in how CS can advance these two fields hence why you picked them etc etc

There are lots of things you can do to demonstrate an interest in it, as long as you do a good variety of stuff + combine it together into a nice reading personal statement + good grades (aim for A/A* in maths), then you should be fine.

Wow! This was so helpful , thank you so much I will definately use this to help. I definitely need to do a lot more research and this has guided me. Thanks once again!
Reply 18
Original post by foobar123
Good Maths and Further Maths A Level grades. Computer Science isn't required at A Level.

Grab yourself a Raspberry Pi. Play around, get used to unix and terminal. Have fun building some projects.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-7
This course is pretty good for a basic introduction to Computer Science. Runs a few times a year. Other MOOCs also may be of value.

What can I do with a Raspberry Pi, I'm not familiar with it:confused:. I have no clue what unix and terminal are? sorry
And I will check out the course, thankyou!
Reply 19
Original post by Domainski
I don’t know about Python but this should be a good course: https://www.udemy.com/share/101Wai2@PUdgV2FKWlQOe0RHBXt+TD5tYA==/

Tim Buchalka is one of the creators and I’m currently going through his Java course which is good.

Looks like the PyCharm IDE is from Jet Brains so I would expect it to be very good. The IntelliJ IDE they have is awesome and it looks like that’s what Tim is using in his course.

One of the good things about Udemy is that you can ask questions related to the lessons you are going through and often other students help you out. If that fails you can even message the course creators directly and they do get back to you.

I didn’t do Computer Science at university, I did Computer Games Software Development because I was purely interested in programming.

okay I will have a look thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending