The Student Room Group

Is this right??

So myself and my fam went out for dinner to celebrate my lil brother's 18th Birthday.

I ordered the main meal which was mainly chicken. As I was eating the meal my chicken wasn't cooked properly...So I made a polite complain to the waitress.

My new food arrived and everything was good. Then my dad basically told my brother (with me still there) that he prefers to choose simple meals. He was saying how his meal was more simple and the best because he didn't need to complain.

It felt like I was being bullied because his words were not directed at me but it was still about my situation. I think the term of phrase is Passive Aggressive. It's so hard to put into words but my dad made me feel worthless and naive

I felt I was getting blamed because my meal was undercooked and I wasnt eating at the same time like everyone else. I wasn't the one cooking the meal so I don't understand why I should get the blame?

My dad has ordered meat dishes before so he is being very hypocritical himself.

Was it right of what he said?
Original post by Anonymous
So myself and my fam went out for dinner to celebrate my lil brother's 18th Birthday.

I ordered the main meal which was mainly chicken. As I was eating the meal my chicken wasn't cooked properly...So I made a polite complain to the waitress.

My new food arrived and everything was good. Then my dad basically told my brother (with me still there) that he prefers to choose simple meals. He was saying how his meal was more simple and the best because he didn't need to complain.

It felt like I was being bullied because his words were not directed at me but it was still about my situation. I think the term of phrase is Passive Aggressive. It's so hard to put into words but my dad made me feel worthless and naive

I felt I was getting blamed because my meal was undercooked and I wasnt eating at the same time like everyone else. I wasn't the one cooking the meal so I don't understand why I should get the blame?

You're a son who doesn't like his dad, aren't you? :frown:
He didn't blame you, why do you feel like he blamed you?

If you felt offended you should have said something then and there imo.

A life pro tip - Don't take everything people say personally. You will get offended easily.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check

I'm sure there are lots of people like that, we have our reasons though. I despise my dad.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check

I show my dad a lot of respect, but he has serious issues. He would complain about strangers who dress a certain way, or would complaint that there is'nt enough people with the same colour skin, every small thing he likes to find ways that it's my fault. I'm a girl btw and he made the decision himself to not have a good relationship with my younger brother.

I do the all I can to help my dad but he just gives me and my younger brother sh*t in return. He denies that there is nothing wrong with him and never wants to get help
Original post by urlocalinmate
I'm sure there are lots of people like that, we have our reasons though. I despise my dad.

Yes, there are, of course. The whole 'dads and sons' thing isn't a myth. It's sad though.

I couldn't stand my father when I was younger. Now I love him to bits. That has happened to the majority of my male friends - you develop a different relationship with your father as you get older, mainly because you appreciate things which were impossible to appreciate when you were younger. You'll also find that you turn into him, in unexpected ways.

Of course you don't believe me: your father is dreadful and there is no way that you will ever resemble him. I get that.
Also, to add - some fathers really are terrible. I'm talking in more general terms - everyone has their own story.

There’s nothing wrong with saying that your food wasn’t cooked properly, I would have done the same just ignore them. You’re the one eating it at the end of the day so I don’t know why they would be bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending