The Student Room Group

so when people say think about others

when you’re going through something and you think you’re something special, does that induce self hatred?
If you think you’re something special it’s unlikely it will have much effect.

If you don’t think you’re something special then yes, people saying that other people have it worse or similar can make you hate yourself for making a big deal out of whatever it was.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If you think you’re something special it’s unlikely it will have much effect.

If you don’t think you’re something special then yes, people saying that other people have it worse or similar can make you hate yourself for making a big deal out of whatever it was.

people like inducing self hatred in one way or another and like to put people down, then they wonder why you hate yourself so doesn’t make sense
It can also make you reevaluate the situation and realise that you have irrationally reacted
Reply 4
It can also make you reevaluate the situation and realise that you have irrationally reacted

your feelings are valid
Original post by Anon346775
people like inducing self hatred in one way or another and like to put people down, then they wonder why you hate yourself so doesn’t make sense

I don’t think people saying to think of others are Trying to or Like to “induce self hatred”
your feelings are valid

Thank you??
Reply 7
I don’t think people saying to think of others are Trying to or Like to “induce self hatred”

so what are they trying to do? others have it worse so what? you can feel how you feel.
Reply 8
its funny how these people put their wellbeing first and they’re telling me not to care about my wellbeing
so what are they trying to do? others have it worse so what? you can feel how you feel.

I mean I don’t know the ins and outs of whatever situation you are describing but sometimes it is because they are trying to help you feel better, sometimes it can be because you are over reacting, sometimes it can be because you are acting spoilt and tough live is the only way to get you to stop being a brat.

Obviously you feel how you feel but 1) not everyone will react positively to that, 2) they can feel how they feel too and 3) it doesn’t mean you aren’t being irrational.
its funny how these people put their wellbeing first and they’re telling me not to care about my wellbeing

No, they’re telling you to think of others as well… that’s a very different thing.
No, they’re telling you to think of others as well… that’s a very different thing.

they specifically said “you need to get out of your own little bubble and think about other students” when I said I was failing at something because of my illness, implying I should let myself fail and hate myself then another person wonders why I did it and shes jealous of me for succeeding as well and in my religion you should keep humble about your successes because these people can curse you (called the evil eye and envy) which can impact a persons life, IQ, everything
(edited 2 years ago)
they specifically said “you need to get out of your own little bubble and think about other students” when I said I was failing at something, implying I should let myself fail and hate myself then another person wonders why I did if

Well how were you behaving when they said that?
Well how were you behaving when they said that?

I didn’t say anything, I took that on board and self harmed in an area everyone was able to see, the area where I am in pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending