How Difficult is it to get into a Russel Group University

Watch
Anom08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am going into Year 13 in September. I study English Literature, History and Business Studies. I am predicted/achieved 2 A's and 1 B this year. I would like to study Law at a Russel Group University. Which Universities in that group would be the hardest to get into and which the easiest?

Thank You
Jonodeer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Generally oxbridge are the hardest unis to get into (though I'm not sure if they count as Russell group but I think they do)

The simplest way to see which are easiest or hardest to get into is to look at the entry requirements, the hardest to get into will have high entry requirements like As and A stars. I dont know about law in particular but some Russell group universities have entry requirements as low as three Bs perhaps even lower. But obviously you could argue the lower the the entry requirements the lower quality the degree but I dint think this is hugely true for the mid range of Russell group unis

Also one thing to consider is just because a uni is Russell group doesn't mean it is the best uni for your course. Take Royal Holloway for example, it is not Russell group but it is one of the top universities for Physics and is much better than a large amount of Russell groups, but at the same time you wouldn't go there to do a Maths degree. It just really depends on your course specifically
Anom08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Jonodeer)
Generally oxbridge are the hardest unis to get into (though I'm not sure if they count as Russell group but I think they do)

The simplest way to see which are easiest or hardest to get into is to look at the entry requirements, the hardest to get into will have high entry requirements like As and A stars. I dont know about law in particular but some Russell group universities have entry requirements as low as three Bs perhaps even lower. But obviously you could argue the lower the the entry requirements the lower quality the degree but I dint think this is hugely true for the mid range of Russell group unis

Also one thing to consider is just because a uni is Russell group doesn't mean it is the best uni for your course. Take Royal Holloway for example, it is not Russell group but it is one of the top universities for Physics and is much better than a large amount of Russell groups, but at the same time you wouldn't go there to do a Maths degree. It just really depends on your course specifically
Cheers Mate, Thanks for your advice
Sophie_Nanase
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Getting the grades is harder than getting accepted into any
Googley_eyes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree with the comment that RG isn’t the best choice for all. Like I went to a RG uni and the teaching was awful as in science there’s so much pressure on lecturers to research and publish that undergrads get ignored so much. Idk how much of this happens in Law.

I now go to a very good non RG uni and it’s so much better. So when looking at unis for law don’t focus on if they’re RG or not, focus on if they’re good for law and near where you can make connections as that’s very important for law.

Just as an extra note, universities can and have bought themselves into the RG. For example QMUL is a **** uni with pretty much nothing going for them except that they’re a campus uni in London, but they paid enough money for the RG title a few years ago.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
i'm pretty sure the entry requirements are on each university's website. have you googled that?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Valuable reading - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - especially the bit about making sure your 5 choices include a range of entry requirements - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise