The Student Room Group

Proving Financial Dependancy

So I have two siblings who are not in Education anymore and are over 18 and are financially dependent on my dad, and he received a letter asking for:

“Clarification on how they’re financially dependent upon you, with photocopies of any supporting evidence as applicable”

Unsure how to respond, they are both completely dependent on him, that’s housing, food and everything ect. What supporting evidence could they be talking about? And how would I respond to them? By email? Or uploading a letter to SFE?
Original post by RaZeFX
So I have two siblings who are not in Education anymore and are over 18 and are financially dependent on my dad, and he received a letter asking for:

“Clarification on how they’re financially dependent upon you, with photocopies of any supporting evidence as applicable”

Unsure how to respond, they are both completely dependent on him, that’s housing, food and everything ect. What supporting evidence could they be talking about? And how would I respond to them? By email? Or uploading a letter to SFE?

Hi, we have removed both of the siblings, we require evidence if you wish to add them back onto the application.

We will only add them back onto your application if the evidence proves they are dependent. Are they not working, are they totally dependent on your parents?

Do your parents send them money?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, we have removed both of the siblings, we require evidence if you wish to add them back onto the application.

We will only add them back onto your application if the evidence proves they are dependent. Are they not working, are they totally dependent on your parents?

Do your parents send them money?

Thanks, Isaac

Hi,

Yea they are totally dependant, they live at home too and are not earning yet. How would I submit this information and is there supporting evidence for this or is just telling okay
Original post by RaZeFX
Hi,

Yea they are totally dependant, they live at home too and are not earning yet. How would I submit this information and is there supporting evidence for this or is just telling okay

How are they dependant? Do they not receive benefits/Job Seekers Allowance?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
How are they dependant? Do they not receive benefits/Job Seekers Allowance?

Thanks, Isaac

No, they aren’t receiving any benefits or job seekers allowance, and every expense is through my father, that’s food, living, everything
Original post by RaZeFX
No, they aren’t receiving any benefits or job seekers allowance, and every expense is through my father, that’s food, living, everything

Our guidance states we can accept evidence such as :

- Dependant’s bank statements showing no other source of earnings.
- Bank statements showing that parents are transferring money to the dependant and/or paying for things on their behalf.
- Evidence to show the parents are paying bills on their behalf e.g. mobile phone bills.

We will only add them to your application if we receive acceptable evidence.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Our guidance states we can accept evidence such as :

- Dependant’s bank statements showing no other source of earnings.
- Bank statements showing that parents are transferring money to the dependant and/or paying for things on their behalf.
- Evidence to show the parents are paying bills on their behalf e.g. mobile phone bills.

We will only add them to your application if we receive acceptable evidence.

Thanks, Isaac

Ok I see thank you, but should I just upload them straight? Or do I need to also explain how they are financially independent, and how would I do so? Get my dad to type up a letter and upload it along with the evidence? Or send an email
Original post by RaZeFX
Ok I see thank you, but should I just upload them straight? Or do I need to also explain how they are financially independent, and how would I do so? Get my dad to type up a letter and upload it along with the evidence? Or send an email

Evidence can be uploaded and a cover letter would be helpful with explaining things.
Thanks, Isaac
I need help for this also. My son is 18, finished education has part time work. If he was applying for a student loan Sfe would automatically say he was financially dependent on us. But when I reapply for my loan I am told I need to prove that he is financially dependent on us?! It makes no sense.
We have already sent a covering note showing his account and explaining that he lives with us and we pay all the expenses but this was deemed not enough. We have to show that we give him money - which we could start doing but he would have to send it straight back as all bills in our name?
Frustrating!
Original post by greenish-wailing
I need help for this also. My son is 18, finished education has part time work. If he was applying for a student loan Sfe would automatically say he was financially dependent on us. But when I reapply for my loan I am told I need to prove that he is financially dependent on us?! It makes no sense.
We have already sent a covering note showing his account and explaining that he lives with us and we pay all the expenses but this was deemed not enough. We have to show that we give him money - which we could start doing but he would have to send it straight back as all bills in our name?
Frustrating!

Hi there,

Just to confirm, did you receive an e-mail from us confirming that your letter was not accepted? Can you please tell us exactly what the e-mail said?

Thanks, Graeme
Email said:
Your dependents
When you gave information for your student finance application you told us you have a dependent who is over the age of 18 and not in full time education. We cannot accept the evidence received as we would need to see regular payments in to show support being provided.
What you need to do
Send photocopies of any evidence, such as bank statements showing financial support
Original post by greenish-wailing
Email said:
Your dependents
When you gave information for your student finance application you told us you have a dependent who is over the age of 18 and not in full time education. We cannot accept the evidence received as we would need to see regular payments in to show support being provided.
What you need to do
Send photocopies of any evidence, such as bank statements showing financial support

Hi greenish-wailing,

Have you already sent bank statements?

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending