HMRC Customer Services Consultant (2021)

Watch
Saojones
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys,

I have recently applied for the HMRC Customer Services Consultant position. I had an email yesterday to confirm that I had a conditional offer which I'm ecstatic about! However, I'm now torn between my current job and this new position.

I'm extremely wanting career progression which I know HMRC would provide whereas in my current position - I'm pretty much stuck in my role and there's no room for advancement. If I took the HMRC job then I'd need to commute to Birmingham (40mins by train), whereas my current job is near where I live.

I also wanted to know from those who currently work for HMRC about what it's like to work there? What is the job like itself?
Last edited by Saojones; 2 months ago
Bo55y
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, feel free to PM me, happy to chat about your message above. I was in the exact position a while ago with HMRC and other offers.
Bo55y
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by misticnutmeg)
Hi, are you in the Nottingham Office? Do you know how long you will be working from home?
Hi, yes I am.We will be returning to offices from now till the end of September in a phased return. Though even post Sep you can continue to work from home 2 days a week (more in some other departments) as always - which now also includes Customer Servuce Colleagues.
Saojones
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bo55y)
Hi, feel free to PM me, happy to chat about your message above. I was in the exact position a while ago with HMRC and other offers.
Thank you! Unfortunately I haven't the ability with PM at the moment. Would you be able to tell me what it's like day to day and what are the career opportunities like? Also how long did it take between the PECs and formal job offer?
Bo55y
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saojones)
Thank you! Unfortunately I haven't the ability with PM at the moment. Would you be able to tell me what it's like day to day and what are the career opportunities like? Also how long did it take between the PECs and formal job offer?
No problem. Day to day its pretty simple. With the new reformed contracts from June 2021 there is more shift flexibility and so much more fairness in terms of unsociable hours working (you can read more re the new terms online). Also, working from home 2-3 days a week is now a permanent thing for Customer Service employees. Career progression is great, lots of opportunites to go up the ladder though it can take longer for some depending on abilities, contacts etc. My dad who works in the call center has been doing 8-4 shifts for 3 weeks, then 1 week of 10-6, but no weekends or lates so far and hes been working for over a year now. Cant say how long it will take for formal offers, depends on your security checks and clearance.
Saojones
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bo55y)
No problem. Day to day its pretty simple. With the new reformed contracts from June 2021 there is more shift flexibility and so much more fairness in terms of unsociable hours working (you can read more re the new terms online). Also, working from home 2-3 days a week is now a permanent thing for Customer Service employees. Career progression is great, lots of opportunites to go up the ladder though it can take longer for some depending on abilities, contacts etc. My dad who works in the call center has been doing 8-4 shifts for 3 weeks, then 1 week of 10-6, but no weekends or lates so far and hes been working for over a year now. Cant say how long it will take for formal offers, depends on your security checks and clearance.
Ah that sounds brilliant and the part WFH would be such a money saver when it comes to commuting. Do they provide any equipment for WFH? I have like a gazillion questions to ask but for some reason, nothing's coming to my head. Is there anything else that you think that is important to know?
Bo55y
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah that sounds brilliant and the part WFH would be such a money saver when it comes to commuting. Do they provide any equipment for WFH? I have like a gazillion questions to ask but for some reason, nothing's coming to my head. Is there anything else that you think that is important to know?
Yes,WFH saves A LOTof money. You are given set contributions towards the purchase of some equipment (desk, chair etc) others ( screen, headset, cables, mobile, cases etc) are provided completely by them. Not sure what else. but if you think of anything just ask!
Kashfia.pri
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi ya. I m also on the same boat, waiting for the formal offer. Can anybody tell me about the job security? Also do they give laptops for wfh? Is the job very hectic? There were lots of negative reviews on indeed about poor management. Seemed like job satisfaction was a bit low
Saojones
Rep:
?
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I finally received the formal offer and now have accepted it - I also have a start date too! What can I expect now?
Bo55y
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kashfia.pri)
Hi ya. I m also on the same boat, waiting for the formal offer. Can anybody tell me about the job security? Also do they give laptops for wfh? Is the job very hectic? There were lots of negative reviews on indeed about poor management. Seemed like job satisfaction was a bit low
Job Security is great, unless there is gross misconduct which is very rare. If you have poor performance,they're great at supporting you to move forward but that does depend on your manager and team. Yes laptops are provided.
Bo55y
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I finally received the formal offer and now have accepted it - I also have a start date too! What can I expect now?
Congrats! As you get closer to your start date they will send you the equipment you need, a starter pack, some Induction material with Instructions including what to do and expect on your first day and first few weeks. Good Luck!
Davidtombling
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi. My partner passed the interview and got a conditional job offer. She has passed on her I.D.

Any ides on what the next steps are and when she may get a start date?
Saojones
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Davidtombling)
Hi. My partner passed the interview and got a conditional job offer. She has passed on her I.D.

Any ides on what the next steps are and when she may get a start date?
Hello, I think what happened next was the invitation to complete PECs through the CS portal which happened a few days after I passed on my ID. Then the PECs took around two weeks for me and around a few days later I had a formal offer with a start date a month later.

From what I understand though, the length of the various processes of recruitment can vary. It's like trying to find the length of a piece of string. Hopefully it'll be quite quick for your partner as it was for me
Davidtombling
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, I think what happened next was the invitation to complete PECs through the CS portal which happened a few days after I passed on my ID. Then the PECs took around two weeks for me and around a few days later I had a formal offer with a start date a month later.

From what I understand though, the length of the various processes of recruitment can vary. It's like trying to find the length of a piece of string. Hopefully it'll be quite quick for your partner as it was for me
Thanks for your reply.

She had another invitation after her interview to show all her I.D on camera. Is this for the PECs? This is for Newcastle branch
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads