Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Here's the question,
Q. The Young modulus of the material of a wire can be related to the stiffness of the wire. A student suggests that if the cross-sectional area of the spring and the initial length of the spring were known, then the Young modulus of the spring material could be calculated using the data
given in this question. Explain why this is incorrect.
Name:  Screenshot_20210717-182311_Drive.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  32.6 KB
i don't get the third and the last point. can someone please explain it to me.
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 4 months ago
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
Here's the question,
Q. The Young modulus of the material of a wire can be related to the stiffness of the wire. A student suggests that if the cross-sectional area of the spring and the initial length of the spring were known, then the Young modulus of the spring material could be calculated using the data
given in this question. Explain why this is incorrect.
Name:  Screenshot_20210717-182311_Drive.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  32.6 KB
i don't get the third and the last point. can someone please explain it to me.
You need to supply the whole question.
The question asks why 'using the data given in the question' and without that we can't say why the student is incorrect.
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
(Original post by Stonebridge)
You need to supply the whole question.
The question asks why 'using the data given in the question' and without that we can't say why the student is incorrect.
Sorry, here's the question, i've attached it below
Attached files
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 4 months ago
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
Sorry, here's the question, i've attached it below
Well, a spring is a coiled wire and the diameter (and therefore cross section area) of the coil is much larger than the diameter/cross section area of the thin wire that it is made from.
For Young modulus calculations, it's the cross section area of the actual wire we need. Not the coil.
A coil is a wire which is wound round and round, the length of the spring/coil is much less that the length of wire that goes to make it up.
As you need the length of the actual wire in the Young modulus calculation, the length of the coil or spring would be incorrect.
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
(Original post by Stonebridge)
Well, a spring is a coiled wire and the diameter (and therefore cross section area) of the coil is much larger than the diameter/cross section area of the thin wire that it is made from.
For Young modulus calculations, it's the cross section area of the actual wire we need. Not the coil.
A coil is a wire which is wound round and round, the length of the spring/coil is much less that the length of wire that goes to make it up.
As you need the length of the actual wire in the Young modulus calculation, the length of the coil or spring would be incorrect.
thank you so much for taking your time to explain!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise