hellostrangerss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone. So i’ve just received my GDL results and although i was expecting a distinction i got a high commendation (67%). At City, for a distinction you need an average of 67% and 70%+ in at least 4 modules. I got 70 for equity, 70 for land and 74 for contract. Im a bit disappointed that i got 67 and 66 for eu and criminal respectively. The thing is, during my criminal law examination i had some personal issues going on which did affect my timing and performance in the exam and I'm certain that it would count towards an extenuating circumstances claim. I’m thinking of resiting my criminal law exam in august in hopes that i could score 70+ to get a distinction. However, im not sure if this is worth doing so as criminal was the exam that most of my friends really messed up and i found it quite tough also and maybe i should not take the risk to resit and be pleased with what i got? (resit grade will automatically count towards my final average)

I have a first from an ‘average’ university and i feel like a distinction would really help me stand out in my applications. Btw i want to follow the solicitors route so training contract, vac schemes etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Gmaster1980
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Don't bother resitting. Declare the mitigating circumstances on your applications and spend time doing other things to strengthen your apps.
Last edited by Gmaster1980; 2 months ago
CALIBRE8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
Don't bother resitting. Declare the mitigating circumstances on your applications and spend time doing other things to strengthen your apps.
Completely agree with this. It is also important to note that academics are certainly not everything and law firms are just as interested in what else you have to offer i.e. legal work experience, non-law experience, volunteering and so forth. Submit your mitigating circumstances, do as well as you can in the LPC/SQE and see what else you can do to make yourself stand out from other applicants on paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed