The Student Room Group

what degree should i do at uni?

I want to do a degree that is related to biology and helping people but also isn't going to take 5 years like a doctor.
Any suggestions
Original post by SimranMa
I want to do a degree that is related to biology and helping people but also isn't going to take 5 years like a doctor.
Any suggestions

There are many careers allied to medicine, each dealing with different aspects of human life. You might want to research what a physiotherapist, speech and language therapist, dietitian, pharmacist, nurse etc. do during their work to get some ideas.
Any suggestions

Gender studies. No, I'd recommend you look into Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry and Natural Sciences.
^ as previously mentioned, allied medical fields would be worth considering (I would add paramedic science to that list). If you don't want to do a vocational subject though, something like biomedical science, biochemistry or medical sciences would be worth considering. All medical research fields involve helping people even if you don't interact with them directly
Hi @SimranMa
Have you chatted to some current students on course you might be interested in. Many universities offer an online chat to a student where you can learn about their courses and hopefully it can help you decide what you want to study. At lancaster you can do it through this link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hopefully this helps you get some ideas of what you want to do/ study.
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Any suggestions

Biology Teacher???? you would be helping youngsters with school and is related to biology
Any suggestions

Hi @SimranMa

You could consider Biological or Biomedical Science, Forensic Biology, Forensic Science - and also things like Nursing and Paramedic Science.

You need to think about whether you want to help people face-to-face or whether you'd prefer to work a bit more "behind-the-scenes" - these should influence what kind of career you'd like and which degree would be best suited for you.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Amy
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @SimranMa
Have you chatted to some current students on course you might be interested in. Many universities offer an online chat to a student where you can learn about their courses and hopefully it can help you decide what you want to study. At lancaster you can do it through this link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hopefully this helps you get some ideas of what you want to do/ study.
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly

Hi, No I haven't but I have really been considering Threuptic Radiology which is a 3-year course..... I will defo have a look at that thanks.
Any suggestions

Hey @SimranMa,

Here at Reading we have loads of different biology related degrees. You can check out our extensive list of Biological Science Degrees here! The options are endless and you will even have the chance to do a placement year.

I would choose your degree based on what you are really passionate about and what you can see yourself pursuing in the future. Think hard about this as a degree is a big investment and you will spend countless hours on it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Any suggestions

Hi @SimranMa,

There's plenty of relevant courses offered by some great universities already in this thread but I thought I'd also add on some of the courses offered by the University of Southampton which fit the description for your ideal degree. :smile: I've embedded the links for each course if you want more information - just click on the degree titles below!

Biomedical Sciences
This course is focused on helping people through researching medical science and how it can help prevent disease being caused or spread. Highlights of the course include working on your own independent research project alongside staff at the uni.

Cardiac Physiology
This is a more 'hands-on' course and will teach and train you (across three years) on the detection and treatment of heart disease. This course is taught in Southampton General Hospital and you will be working with patients in a clinical setting whilst also doing academic learning during your degree

Nursing (adult, child, or mental health)
Placements are also involved on this course so you will have the opportunity to help people directly rather than passively. All of the nursing degrees offered by the University of Southampton share this structure.

Podiatry
The University of Southampton is the only Russell Group university to offer this course and provides students the opportunity to treat real people. By completing the three year degree you will gain experience (through both academic teaching and hands-on training) on how to diagnose and treat a range of lower-limb disorders.

Pharmacology
If you're less interested in helping people hands-on, this course might interest you. I'm aware that pharmacology is less biology focussed than the other degrees I've mentioned but I thought I'd include it too because it does involve helping people passively by giving you an understanding on how to administer and formulate new drugs to help people.

I think it’s really great that you already have an idea of what kind of things might interest you at university and it seems like you’re in a good position to pick the right course for you! Lots of other people in the forum have already written some great advice, all I can say is that taking the time to research the specifics of each course and looking into what each university that you’re interested in can offer you will help lead you into selecting your perfect course! :biggrin: If you are interested/have any questions aboout any of the above courses offered by the University of Southampton I'd recommend contacting the team here or attending one of the upcoming Open Days. Although I have no experience studying any of these courses myself (I'm actually an English and History student) my friends who are studying science courses at the uni love it!

When are you thinking of going to uni?

Anna
2nd Year Student Ambassador
Reply 10
Any suggestions

Whatever you do, do NOT do nursing. You’re welcome
Reply 11
None 🤣
Reply 12
Original post by mrsany
Whatever you do, do NOT do nursing. You’re welcome

Hahaha Why? I got an offer to do adult nursing but I'm developing cold feet.
Reply 13
Original post by Dgirly
Hahaha Why? I got an offer to do adult nursing but I'm developing cold feet.

I’m telling you it is not worth it At all as a career or for the pay. You will go through so much as a student nurse especially during covid times and shortage of staff. Unless you genuinely have such a passion for wanting to be a nurse i would say don’t. Pretty much eveyone that does nursing regrets it by year 2
Reply 14
Original post by mrsany
I’m telling you it is not worth it At all as a career or for the pay. You will go through so much as a student nurse especially during covid times and shortage of staff. Unless you genuinely have such a passion for wanting to be a nurse i would say don’t. Pretty much eveyone that does nursing regrets it by year 2

Wow, I guess I have to sit back and think it through. Do you have any idea if mental health nursing is any better? I mean less stressful? Sorry for my many questions.
Original post by Blackrose06
Biology Teacher???? you would be helping youngsters with school and is related to biology

avoid secondary teaching. best to teach uni students or phd students so you can learn and not repeat easy gcse content
The way the unis are coming in on this thread.

This must be what its like being a girl on Tinder
Reply 17
Original post by Dgirly
Wow, I guess I have to sit back and think it through. Do you have any idea if mental health nursing is any better? I mean less stressful? Sorry for my many questions.

I don’t think so tbh unless you work in a community setting

Quick Reply

Latest