The Student Room Group

Clearing and failed foundation year

I failed my foundation year at the University of Leeds and Now I want to apply to other universities through clearing. Any advice? What should I say when I call the universities? I feel like I would need to mention I failed foundation year, Otherwise they could ask what did I do for a year after my college results. So how could I say it a bit nicely? or is there no way to say nicely? Should i straght up say I failed foundation year?
1) You must list all your qualifications on your UCAS application - whether you passed them or not.
2) UCAS can spot from your previous application and your Student Finance status that you have already been to Uni - so there isnt much point in lying.

And btw, if you can't pass a Foundation course - it really is time to forget Uni and get a job.
Everything the above McGinger has said.

I would recommend you take some time to figure out what went wrong, and how you can ensure the same issues don’t have a reoccurrence.
A foundation year will be significantly easier then a degree and with a degree you really need to be targeting a 2.1 or higher (well beyond just passing).
Just to explain - clearing is part of ucas. If you want to use clearing then that means you need to submit a ucas application (in full including a PS a reference and a full education history).
Original post by queen_of_manga
I failed my foundation year at the University of Leeds and Now I want to apply to other universities through clearing. Any advice? What should I say when I call the universities? I feel like I would need to mention I failed foundation year, Otherwise they could ask what did I do for a year after my college results. So how could I say it a bit nicely? or is there no way to say nicely? Should i straght up say I failed foundation year?

Hey @queen_of_manga, you'll need to be honest, you can apply online through Clearing or if you have seen a course and university you like you can call up and speak to adviser who are very friendly and understanding. If the foundation year was in a subject that you found you weren't very passionate about then explain why your heart wasn't in it and then explain why you want to do this course instead. Worth noting you can only get 5 years of student finance so choose wisely so you can commit to a 3 or 4 year course with no year retakes. :smile:

Harry - Sheffield Hallam student ambassador
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey @queen_of_manga, you'll need to be honest, you can apply online through Clearing or if you have seen a course and university you like you can call up and speak to adviser who are very friendly and understanding. If the foundation year was in a subject that you found you weren't very passionate about then explain why your heart wasn't in it and then explain why you want to do this course instead. Worth noting you can only get 5 years of student finance so choose wisely so you can commit to a 3 or 4 year course with no year retakes. :smile:

Harry - Sheffield Hallam student ambassador

This is incorrect

- Phoning a university *is* applying through clearing. And if a clearing offer is made then that requires a ucas application to accept it.

- Student finance isn’t limited to 5 years. It’s limited to the length of the new course plus one gift year.

1, as people have said you have to declare all, passed and failed. Failure to do so can get your app thrown out.

Secondly are you sure uni is right for you? I dont want to be mean here, but you failed a foundation year which the whole point of it is to get you ready for a degree. So clearly you are not ready.

My advice would be to be honest and say that you have failed it, BUT talk about how the university wasn't the right fit, you struggled with it and didn't get the support needed. We often get applicants who did not succeed at other unis and they chose us because we are a small institution with extra student support. We never hold this against them! Hope this helps! Thanks, Ksenia

Quick Reply

Latest