The Student Room Group

A-Level choices.

Is computer science, physics and biology a good choice for A-Level? I currently have no intention of going to university rather to work so maybe computer science, IT and physics would be much better suiting. If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BoronBroker47
Is computer science, physics and biology a good choice for A-Level? I currently have no intention of going to university rather to work so maybe computer science, IT and physics would be much better suiting. If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Computer Science and Physics link well with each other. Personally, Biology stands out. Maths or Chemistry may be a better A-Level combination.
Original post by elyxe
Computer Science and Physics link well with each other. Personally, Biology stands out. Maths or Chemistry may be a better A-Level combination.

Yeah that's what I thought. So do you think I should swap IT out with biology because I am confident I could get A's in both but obviously one will have to go. Another I considered would be Economics, Business and computer science because then I would be equipped with good logistical thinking as well as a decent wealth of knowledge in computer science.
Yeah that's what I thought. So do you think I should swap IT out with biology because I am confident I could get A's in both but obviously one will have to go. Another I considered would be Economics, Business and computer science because then I would be equipped with good logistical thinking as well as a decent wealth of knowledge in computer science.

Don't do IT and Computing or Econ and BS - too much overlap
Reply 4

I read that studying two subjects that are similar can mean that you can lose interest quickly because the content can clash, but that is up to you. I personally suggest that you do Economics/Business, Maths and Computer Science/IT
Original post by elyxe
I read that studying two subjects that are similar can mean that you can lose interest quickly because the content can clash, but that is up to you. I personally suggest that you do Economics/Business, Maths and Computer Science/IT

The only problem is I only achieved a B in maths and I don't really enjoy it so I would definitely struggle at A-Level. I really enjoy applied maths hence why I really enjoy physics. When it comes down to it, would it really be so bad if I were to do IT, Computer science and Physics? If it helps my school is using CIE for both Physics and IT and then AQA for Computer science. Also note I haven't yet received my grade for comp sci but I was on a B after two of the three papers had been marked and Physics I am probably on for an A. Thanks again :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
The only problem is I only achieved a B in maths and I don't really enjoy it so I would definitely struggle at A-Level. I really enjoy applied maths hence why I really enjoy physics. When it comes down to it, would it really be so bad if I were to do IT, Computer science and Physics? If it helps my school is using CIE for both Physics and IT and then AQA for Computer science. Also note I haven't yet received my grade for comp sci but I was on a B after two of the three papers had been marked and Physics I am probably on for an A. Thanks again :smile:

If you don't feel comfortable doing Maths, then that is understandable. I have heard that A-Level Maths is a tough subject. Doing IT, Computer Science is still a good combination. I hope I was helpful!
If you don't plan to go to uni and are aiming to get a job after leaving school, why do A-levels at all? A-levels are designed specifically to prepare students for university level study. If you want to go into work after leaving, especially in the IT sector, you would probably be best off doing a BTEC in some kind of computing or IT based subject. This is what a friend of mine did and then went into work as soon as he finished his course at a web development company local to his area, and as far as I know he still works there several years later.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you don't plan to go to uni and are aiming to get a job after leaving school, why do A-levels at all? A-levels are designed specifically to prepare students for university level study. If you want to go into work after leaving, especially in the IT sector, you would probably be best off doing a BTEC in some kind of computing or IT based subject. This is what a friend of mine did and then went into work as soon as he finished his course at a web development company local to his area, and as far as I know he still works there several years later.

So I definitely shouldn't do ALevels?
So I definitely shouldn't do ALevels?

I mean if you know the you aren't planning to go to uni I think the more practical and project based format of the BTEC would give you more immediately employable skills. You would be able to talk about all the projects you worked on as evidence of your ability to do X type of IT/programming work directly and also discuss you experience of working through a project through its full life cycle.

Alternately look at apprenticeship options, as then you'll continue learning but also be getting paid at the same time - and often companies want to recruit their apprentices as the end of the apprenticeship, after having spent so much time and money training them!
(edited 2 years ago)
I mean if you know the you aren't planning to go to uni I think the more practical and project based format of the BTEC would give you more immediately employable skills. You would be able to talk about all the projects you worked on as evidence of your ability to do X type of IT/programming work directly and also discuss you experience of working through a project through its full life cycle.

Alternately look at apprenticeship options, as then you'll continue learning but also be getting paid at the same time - and often companies want to recruit their apprentices as the end of the apprenticeship, after having spent so much time and money training them!

I just feel as if university is something I and my family could not afford, on top of this, I've read that even with a fancy degree in computer science it still does not guarantee high wages, only the top performers earn the highest wages. If you take into consideration the amount of money that goes into university in the short term it's inane! Surely if you were to get A-Levels as well as doing some portfolio work outside of school you would be more than capable of landing a web development job. In this circumstance I would also be willing to learn C to a level which I am fluent as well as already being very familiar with all Adobe softwares e.g. photoshop, premiere etc. Thanks for your time anyway. :smile:
I just feel as if university is something I and my family could not afford, on top of this, I've read that even with a fancy degree in computer science it still does not guarantee high wages, only the top performers earn the highest wages. If you take into consideration the amount of money that goes into university in the short term it's inane! Surely if you were to get A-Levels as well as doing some portfolio work outside of school you would be more than capable of landing a web development job. In this circumstance I would also be willing to learn C to a level which I am fluent as well as already being very familiar with all Adobe softwares e.g. photoshop, premiere etc. Thanks for your time anyway. :smile:

Honestly it sounds like a BTEC would be much better suited to your plans - you would directly learn employable skills in web development and other programming areas in that course. After all, your path is more or less what they were designed for, making school leavers attractive employment prospects for employers!
Honestly it sounds like a BTEC would be much better suited to your plans - you would directly learn employable skills in web development and other programming areas in that course. After all, your path is more or less what they were designed for, making school leavers attractive employment prospects for employers!

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean, however, university is never 100% out of the picture for me, right now web development would be my path but I also feel as if the two years of sixth form would allow me to make a formal decision on my future. It’s just the best I feel I can do right now, I’m trying to keep my options open. :smile:

Sorry to reply again to this but do you think I could still become a web developer with my A-Level choices IT, Computer Science and Physics?
Sorry to reply again to this but do you think I could still become a web developer with my A-Level choices IT, Computer Science and Physics?

In theory yes, although if your plan is to go into that area without doing a degree as stated before, a more directly applicable qualification like many BTEC courses would be much more relevant. A-levels are specifically designed to prepare students for university level study, not to go into the workforce. It just seems a bit pointless to do A-levels if you don't plan to go to uni - unless you are considering uni as an option, in which case there are other things to consider (such as taking CS and IT together which would probably not be well received by unis due to overlapping content).
In theory yes, although if your plan is to go into that area without doing a degree as stated before, a more directly applicable qualification like many BTEC courses would be much more relevant. A-levels are specifically designed to prepare students for university level study, not to go into the workforce. It just seems a bit pointless to do A-levels if you don't plan to go to uni - unless you are considering uni as an option, in which case there are other things to consider (such as taking CS and IT together which would probably not be well received by unis due to overlapping content).

I actually feel like some subjects benefit from overlapping. As well as this during my computer science GCSE I spent countless hours doing question after question to get my A* and yet I still love the subject :smile:. Aside from that factor IT looks a lot like computer science GCSE level when it comes to the theory! This kind of makes it look easier with skills being more transferable. I also feel like physics will be very difficult so a “softer” subject like IT will help with that by removing the stress of other subjects. If I were to end up at Uni I would more likely be doing IT than computer science. Anyway thanks for all the help.
(edited 2 years ago)

Just to follow up I have now found that if I do become a web developer there are many companies who will hire if you have a degree in IT. Does this still mean given the right number of UCAS points my options will still get me onto this course at uni?
Just to follow up I have now found that if I do become a web developer there are many companies who will hire if you have a degree in IT. Does this still mean given the right number of UCAS points my options will still get me onto this course at uni?

As stated above, unis generally do not like it when students take courses with overlapping content, because the student is effectively taking 2.5 or even fewer A-levels, which does not give them an accurate picture if the student is capable of taking on a full academic workload. This may be less of an issue for courses which explicitly accept UCAS Tariff points (which tend have lower entry requirements), although it's worth noting those courses would probably accept a BTEC anyway (and in fact a BTEC course might be better preparation for those courses as they may be more similar in scope and assessment methods).

Since you seem adamant that you don't want to take a BTEC course then your options will suffice for courses with lower entry criteria that accept UCAS tariff points, provided they do not require A-level Maths. Most courses in IT or computing do not, although most courses in computer science do require A-level Maths or equivalent.

You seem to be picking your current choices arbitrarily without much correspondence to your own plans for the future, which you seem to have changed more or less at the drop of a hat. So it's really very difficult to give anything more than the most basic and general recommendations in that case, without a clearer picture of your future goals and if you want to go to uni, exactly what you want to study and at which kinds of unis.

If you want to study computer science at Oxford or Cambridge for example, your options are very much unsuitable for the reasons noted. If you want to go immediately into work as a school leaver, they're really not the best route into that as a BTEC would be better preparation. For going into a uni course with lower entry requirements, they are fine, but a BTEC would also be fine for those courses, and would be better preparation if you chose to go directly into work again. You need to start making some more concrete plans for the future and think about what your strengths are, personally and academically, and what you are hoping to do.

What are you thinking of doing after a-levels
As stated above, unis generally do not like it when students take courses with overlapping content, because the student is effectively taking 2.5 or even fewer A-levels, which does not give them an accurate picture if the student is capable of taking on a full academic workload. This may be less of an issue for courses which explicitly accept UCAS Tariff points (which tend have lower entry requirements), although it's worth noting those courses would probably accept a BTEC anyway (and in fact a BTEC course might be better preparation for those courses as they may be more similar in scope and assessment methods).

Since you seem adamant that you don't want to take a BTEC course then your options will suffice for courses with lower entry criteria that accept UCAS tariff points, provided they do not require A-level Maths. Most courses in IT or computing do not, although most courses in computer science do require A-level Maths or equivalent.

You seem to be picking your current choices arbitrarily without much correspondence to your own plans for the future, which you seem to have changed more or less at the drop of a hat. So it's really very difficult to give anything more than the most basic and general recommendations in that case, without a clearer picture of your future goals and if you want to go to uni, exactly what you want to study and at which kinds of unis.

If you want to study computer science at Oxford or Cambridge for example, your options are very much unsuitable for the reasons noted. If you want to go immediately into work as a school leaver, they're really not the best route into that as a BTEC would be better preparation. For going into a uni course with lower entry requirements, they are fine, but a BTEC would also be fine for those courses, and would be better preparation if you chose to go directly into work again. You need to start making some more concrete plans for the future and think about what your strengths are, personally and academically, and what you are hoping to do.

Well I got a C in maths and A's in both English's and all my sciences were A's too. As for my other four choices I got an A in business, computer science, history and a B in media. I really enjoyed Physics, Comp Sci, Biology, History, Business and Chemistry. I have a passion for all of the sciences and I really enjoyed coding and theory of comp sci at GCSE, this is why my options are all similar to those subjects I enjoyed. At the moment I am a 16 year old starting 6th form in September and I have no clue what I would like to do fully when I am 18, I am just trying to keep my options open. If it is also worth noting I really enjoy editing by using all adobe softwares and I am also fluent in a language if that could help with any advice you can give me (Norwegian as my grandma is from there), I also intend on learning German via IB at sixth form as it's part of the enrichment. If you could give me some advice based on a more in depth amount of knowledge then it would be greatly appreciated :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest