The Student Room Group

Career in mental health nursing?

How would I start? I have 4 Cs but I don’t have any science GCSE. What courses would you recommend? Progression?
Reply 1
Hi is it mental health nursing you want to do or a mental health associated career
Probably access to nursing and a biology GCSE. Do you meet the requirements for maths and English?
Reply 3
Original post by Jasmin3
Hi is it mental health nursing you want to do or a mental health associated career

Mental health nursing would be my first choice!
Reply 4
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
Probably access to nursing and a biology GCSE. Do you meet the requirements for maths and English?

Yes, I have decent grades in both:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CharlieKc1
Mental health nursing would be my first choice!

I would research individual uni requirments or there may be a possibilty to do an apprentiship dependent on area. In general i think they require 5 gsces at grades 9-4 and a levels or a btec. I think the FE qualification is more inportant than gsce. Are you yr 12 or 13
Reply 6
Original post by Jasmin3
I would research individual uni requirments or there may be a possibilty to do an apprentiship dependent on area. In general i think they require 5 gsces at grades 9-4 and a levels or a btec. I think the FE qualification is more inportant than gsce. Are you yr 12 or 13

I’m actually just about to turn 19- I will do some research:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jasmin3
I think the FE qualification is more inportant than gsce.

....apart from in nursing, where you absolutely have to have grade C/4 or above in GCSEs maths and English to secure a place to study nursing anywhere in the UK, regardless of other qualifications :smile:

Original post by CharlieKc1
I’m actually just about to turn 19- I will do some research:smile:

Getting your science GCSE sciencd may be a good idea, however may not be necessary (I see you've already got the essential 2).
Seeing as you're 19, your best and easiest way into MH nursing is to do an access course (aim the highest grades possible) which is only a year long and then go on to MH nursing degree.
On a practical side, are you wanting to live at home while you do nursing? Or move away? If you’re planning on living at home, you’ll need to tailor your application to what your local universities want. I live in an area with 3 universities offering nursing within ten miles of each other. They all have very different GCSE requirements. So people round here can take their pick, effectively. If you’re lucky enough to have a choice like that, just target the one that will take you the least time and energy to get into.

If you live in an area with only one university offering nursing where the requirements are a B/6 in maths, English and science, you may struggle to meet those requirements. Be practical. Work out how much living at home vs moving away would be worth to you. Being able to live at home would save a lot of money and allow you to focus on the course requirements. However, maybe you just want to get going with it, even if it may cost you more. But don’t take on more work now than is necessary. Nursing is a long hard course and it’s never been more challenging. You need to give yourself all the breaks you can get right now!
Reply 9
I’m a student mental health nurse :smile: the advice youve already received is all spot on regarding the Access to Nursing / Health course, I’d definitely recommend it - not only does it give you the level 3 qualifications to get to uni but it also gives you a good underlying knowledge-base of the fundamentals you’ll learn throughout the degree!
If you have any questions about MH Nursing or the course itself feel free to message me:smile:
You could contact your local nhs trust to see if they have any bank band two jobs going- mental health inpatient wards use A lot of bank staff. This is temp work where you choose which shifts to work and you can easily do the odd shift around an access course. It will also give you valuable experience and a chance to see if it’s definitely for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending