?
Report 2 months ago
Because they grow out of it.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Because it is a niche term favoured by a very niche part of society.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Because they grow out of it.
I don't know how you can grow out of it when you are it...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Because it is a niche term favoured by a very niche part of society.
could you elaborate, please
Anonbro1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Demisexuality sounds cool when you follow a religion that forbids sex outside marriage and unnecessary interactions with the opposite sex.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
could you elaborate, please
Not many people subscribe to the whole 46 different variations of sexuality.
dottyg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonbro1)
Demisexuality sounds cool when you follow a religion that forbids sex outside marriage and unnecessary interactions with the opposite sex.
Interesting you say that
dottyg
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I feel I fall into this category too so OP it’s not as rare as you think. Maybe people just don’t disclose that type of info
Anonbro1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dottyg)
Interesting you say that
It would be nice of you if you clarify what you meant by it.
Anonymous #1
I worry that this might partly be the reason why I am the way I am but I don't think this is entirely the reason why I am a demisexual. Plus, there are so many people who don't follow religion/ strict rules set by their families and societies and call themselves demisexual.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by dottyg)
I feel I fall into this category too so OP it’s not as rare as you think. Maybe people just don’t disclose that type of info
Yh, I wish more people were aware of demisexuality
dottyg
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It would be nice of you if you clarify what you meant by it.
OP response is what I was thinking too
Last edited by dottyg; 2 months ago
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's just an unusual label to need to share - it helps to establish with someone if you like their gender or not or if you don't ever want to have sex, but it's normal for a relationship to take time to develop, so giving a name to your specific reason for it taking a while just isn't necessary for many people.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Interea)
It's just an unusual label to need to share - it helps to establish with someone if you like their gender or not or if you don't ever want to have sex, but it's normal for a relationship to take time to develop, so giving a name to your specific reason for it taking a while just isn't necessary for many people.
It isn't the same...
some people just don't find anyone sexually attractive.
Like there are many people who would want to have s3x with someone without knowing them, just purely on physical attraction. Demisexuals are not like that, we don't sexualise people we don't know well.
dottyg
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It isn't the same...
Like there are many people who would want to have s3x with someone without knowing them, just purely on physical attraction. Demisexuals are not like that, we don't sexualise people we don't know well.
I agree.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It isn't the same...
I think you misunderstand, I didn't say it was the same :confused: I'm fully aware what demisexuality is, but attraction and your feelings towards people are all internal, and the external consequence is that you don't want to instantly have sex with someone. Since there are many reasons this may be the case, it's often easiest for people not to go into in depth explanations and labels (largely due to lack of understanding/acceptance), hence they may not choose to declare a label for why things aren't developing instantly, leading to the rarity you've observed. Sorry if my other post didn't come across clearly!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Interea)
I think you misunderstand, I didn't say it was the same :confused: I'm fully aware what demisexuality is, but attraction and your feelings towards people are all internal, and the external consequence is that you don't want to instantly have sex with someone. Since there are many reasons this may be the case, it's often easiest for people not to go into in depth explanations and labels (largely due to lack of understanding/acceptance), hence they may not choose to declare a label for why things aren't developing instantly, leading to the rarity you've observed. Sorry if my other post didn't come across clearly!
You're right, I misunderstood that part. But when you said how some people think putting a label, like demisexuality, isn't necessary, for a demisexual, it makes me really uncomfortable that people might think it's unnecessary. I think, to me it's important I know more about myself so when I do get into a relationship with someone, I can explain who I am and why I am the way I am clearly.
You are right with everything else you mentioned. I am 20 and I only recently came across and understood demisexuality. Before that, I just thought I was the way I am because maybe I am a little stubborn, egotistical, have high standards, not easily please, have some narcissistic traits, was raised by strict parents, and my culture believes in no sex before marriage. Now I know that it's because I'm a demisexual and all those other things I mentioned

I do get why there's probably a lot of lack of understanding and acceptance, demisexuality is a spectrum and some people just don't get it. Also, it's a relatively new sexual orientation.

Thanks for replying!
mediumvacuumpak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Not many people subscribe to the whole 46 different variations of sexuality.
Oh man you're truly everywhere
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I forgot what that means.

EDIT: Oh, it means a person who happens to have preferences, just like any other person. Explains why I couldn't remember the term.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads