The Student Room Group

Grade 6 in maths to do bio and chem a level

I was wondering was anyone able to do bio and chem a level with a grade 5 in maths as most sixth form are asking for a grade 6 Ik the reason for this as 10% of these subject are maths
you need reasonable maths skills to do bio and chem, with a calc of course and using formulas basically, but if you got a 5 in maths you probably can't do that very well. if you got 7 or higher in chem and bio gcse then you're probably fine taking it though. I wouldn't take anything you didn't get a 7 or higher in at a-level because they all get harder
Reply 2
Original post by AzureWiggling
you need reasonable maths skills to do bio and chem, with a calc of course and using formulas basically, but if you got a 5 in maths you probably can't do that very well. if you got 7 or higher in chem and bio gcse then you're probably fine taking it though. I wouldn't take anything you didn't get a 7 or higher in at a-level because they all get harder

I suck at maths but I did combined science and got 8-8 are u currently doing bio/chem a level by any chance ?
I don't but I take maths a level, and my friends take bio, chem & maths a level and got 8s and 9s in separate higher gcse sciences and still find it hard. From what I've read online, combined science is less detailed and a bit easier, ideal for people who don't want to take science a levels and as a career. But if you got 8-8 and you are really keen on doing it then discuss it with your teachers and do it. ALTHOUGH, if you want to do med or denistry or veterinary at uni afterwards you will need AAA or maybe ABB if you are eligible for contextual offers because it is very competitive AND a 6 in English and maths gcse just to apply so you won't get in even if you got high a level grades. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AzureWiggling
I don't but I take maths a level, and my friends take bio, chem & maths a level and got 8s and 9s in separate higher gcse sciences and still find it hard. From what I've read online, combined science is less detailed and a bit easier, ideal for people who don't want to take science a levels and as a career. But if you got 8-8 and you are really keen on doing it then discuss it with your teachers and do it. ALTHOUGH, if you want to do med or denistry or veterinary at uni afterwards you will need AAA or maybe ABB if you are eligible for contextual offers because it is very competitive AND a 6 in English and maths gcse just to apply so you won't get in even if you got high a level grades. hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for ur help and advice x
Original post by Maira108
I was wondering was anyone able to do bio and chem a level with a grade 5 in maths as most sixth form are asking for a grade 6 Ik the reason for this as 10% of these subject are maths

im doing bio and chem with a 5 in maths gcse
Original post by Maira108

it depends on the sixth form. personally in my sixth form the entry requirement for a level maths is a grade 7. depends on the entry requirements of thr sixth form your going to.

Quick Reply

Latest