The Student Room Group

Studying/Revision

I have exams coming up soon and I really need to revise. I bought big flash cards size A7 and I don’t even know how to use them. I started writing key theorists I need to know (sociology) etc. For business I just summarise everything I need for the exam. However this is like copying out the textbook and my teacher said there is no point in that. I know I should just read the text book however I have concentration problems (eg. I daydream a lot, lose focus etc) also when I read stuff I literally do not remember anything
Please help me
I personally think that reading the textbook is too passive to remember the content. I've just finished year 13 and did sociology and business. For both I created quizlets that I could use to test myself. I would then use blurting for sociology to check that I could remember the sociologists, key terms etc without prompts then add in what I forgot in a different colour. For business I also created a book of real life business examples that I could use in essays. If I found that there were certain areas that I kept forgetting then I would create a set of flashcards specifically on those areas (I would continue with multiple different formats until I was completely confident). For sociology, I found that essay plans were useful for summarising the key questions of each topic, the core debates involved, the key sociologists to mention and the overall conclusion.
In terms of remaining focused, I'd recommend calm/gentle music in the background (no lyrics) as well as apps such as forest. Also, you may find that the Pomodoro technique helps to motivate you for a certain period of time
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
Reply 2
Original post by SB1234567890
I personally think that reading the textbook is too passive to remember the content. I've just finished year 13 and did sociology and business. For both I created quizlets that I could use to test myself. I would then use blurting for sociology to check that I could remember the sociologists, key terms etc without prompts then add in what I forgot in a different colour. For business I also created a book of real life business examples that I could use in essays. If I found that there were certain areas that I kept forgetting then I would create a set of flashcards specifically on those areas (I would continue with multiple different formats until I was completely confident). For sociology, I found that essay plans were useful for summarising the key questions of each topic, the core debates involved, the key sociologists to mention and the overall conclusion.
In terms of remaining focused, I'd recommend calm/gentle music in the background (no lyrics) as well as apps such as forest. Also, you may find that the Pomodoro technique helps to motivate you for a certain period of time
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have

Thank you so much, this is really helpful.
You created a book for real life business examples ? Can you please give me an example.
Original post by teyana
Thank you so much, this is really helpful.
You created a book for real life business examples ? Can you please give me an example.

I wrote things such as how Primark focus on keeping costs down which could then be used in an essay about quality, pricing strategies, types of competitive advantages, training, ethics, outsourcing...
Hope this makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending