The Student Room Group

Studying

I have exams coming up soon (October) and I really need to revise. I bought big flash cards size A7 and I don’t even know how to use them. I started writing key theorists I need to know (sociology) etc. For business I just summarise everything I need for the exam. However this is like copying out the textbook and my teacher said there is no point in that. I know I should just read the text book however I have concentration problems (eg. I daydream a lot, lose focus etc) also when I read stuff I literally do not remember anything
Please help me (I’m in yr12 going into yr13)
Original post by teyana
I have exams coming up soon (October) and I really need to revise. I bought big flash cards size A7 and I don’t even know how to use them. I started writing key theorists I need to know (sociology) etc. For business I just summarise everything I need for the exam. However this is like copying out the textbook and my teacher said there is no point in that. I know I should just read the text book however I have concentration problems (eg. I daydream a lot, lose focus etc) also when I read stuff I literally do not remember anything
Please help me (I’m in yr12 going into yr13)

Not sure if this will be any help (I’m yr10 going to yr11 haha) but this is what I do with A7 cards. I also put key information but it’s very focused, I’m not too sure about sociology and business but I put something such as “what are the conditions needed for a tropical storm/ hurricane to occur” and I put as many as I can remember (so I’m doing this from memory) then I check the textbook for any I miss and write some important info for each bullet point (but this is very small like 4 words!)

I then test myself with them later and use spaced repetition. Spaced repetition is when you test yourself using the flash cards and put them in different piles. One pile is for testing yourself every day, another every other day, another every week and so on. All flash cards start on the every day pile and when you use a flash card and you get it right you put it in a pile that’s above it. So if you got a flash card right you move it from the every day pile to every other day. Sorry if I’m not explaining it very well. Hope it helps though!

And have you tried making mind maps? They’ve really helped me, I just put everything I know or the basic idea of it and connect all the ideas. I don’t think reading from the textbook is really helpful too, some people learn from that method but pretty sure most people don’t so dw :-)

EDIT: sorry this is a lot, but with the concentration problems. Have you tried studying in 25 minute chunks? I think science proved that was the best way to organise your time when you study. You have a focused session of studying of 25 minutes and then you have a 5 minute break. But the break can’t be anything too distracting or else you’ll find it difficult to go back to studying, something like a snack or walking around for a bit.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending