elyxe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I was recently diagnosed with Autism at the age of 15 and I don't really know how to feel. Does anyone have any advice?
owenpuppy21
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi, im also 15 and autistic, thought i'd chip in!

i was diagnosed early enough that its all ive known, so i cant really help in that aspect, but know that you're still who you've always been. this label doesn't change who you are as a person.

it might feel like it at times, but autism isnt a bad thing. and trust me, im not saying that means it isnt hard, like with trying to connect with people, but that being different doesn't make us wrong. im sure me saying this wont necessarily put u at ease. ik, because i only started loving myself and my autism around a year ago. feeling alien can be hard, but we can find friends who accept us for who we are. dont feel pressured to change to fit in with others.

not to mention being given a diagnosis is a good thing! you can finally pinpoint reasons for your emotions and behaviours, receive help you never could before, connect with likeminded people, and more.

i hope this helps a bit, im not very good at this stuff asdfghjkl
if u have any more concerns or questions, please lmk! and i know this must be alot for u so im sending u a virtual hug
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by owenpuppy21)

i was diagnosed early enough that its all ive known, so i cant really help in that aspect, but know that you're still who you've always been. this label doesn't change who you are as a person.

it might feel like it at times, but autism isnt a bad thing. and trust me, im not saying that means it isnt hard, like with trying to connect with people, but that being different doesn't make us wrong. im sure me saying this wont necessarily put u at ease. ik, because i only started loving myself and my autism around a year ago. feeling alien can be hard, but we can find friends who accept us for who we are. dont feel pressured to change to fit in with others.

not to mention being given a diagnosis is a good thing! you can finally pinpoint reasons for your emotions and behaviours, receive help you never could before, connect with likeminded people, and more.

if u have any more concerns or questions, please lmk! and i know this must be alot for u so im sending u a virtual hug
Thank you, this was so helpful. I'm sending a virtual hug right back! When you first meet people, do you let them know about your diagnosis ?
owenpuppy21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by elyxe)
Thank you, this was so helpful. I'm sending a virtual hug right back! When you first meet people, do you let them know about your diagnosis ?
when i first meet people, i don't really flat out tell them, but sometimes if i feel like i might not convey myself correctly or that im kinda tripping over myself i tell them. idk if this is the right or wrong thing to do tbh,, but its just kinda how i go with it!! im not great in social situations- it might be up to personal preference? sorry this ones alot more vague asdfghjkl, i dont meet people much ;!
elyxe
Rep:
?
when i first meet people, i don't really flat out tell them, but sometimes if i feel like i might not convey myself correctly or that im kinda tripping over myself i tell them. idk if this is the right or wrong thing to do tbh,, but its just kinda how i go with it!! im not great in social situations- it might be up to personal preference? sorry this ones alot more vague asdfghjkl, i dont meet people much ;!
Thank you, your advice was really helpful!
owenpuppy21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by elyxe)
Thank you, your advice was really helpful!
aa no worries! i hope u have a good day!
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My advice, don't let it define you. You know what you like and don't like, take comfort in that and don't feel you need to be restricted in anyway.
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

exactly this.
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
My advice, don't let it define you. You know what you like and don't like, take comfort in that and don't feel you need to be restricted in anyway.
Thank you
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by elyxe)
Don’t straight out tell them that you are autistic from the get go. Instead, try to be friends with people and see if they accept you as you. This way you have a clear indication on whether they are your true friend or not. If you feel anxious or confused during social conversations (I have since I’m also autistic) then perhaps start talking with people online to understand the social ques required in conversations. I started to use tsr because of this. Also keep in mind that a diagnosis is a good thing as it allows you to be yourself.
elemelon27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think of it like this - getting diagnosed hasn't changed anything about you - all you know now is why you present with certain characteristics and that you can get support with anything you might find challenging at school, uni and beyond in later life. You're still the same person you were before the appointments, just knowing a bit more about yourself this time round
elyxe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by elemelon27)
Think of it like this - getting diagnosed hasn't changed anything about you - all you know now is why you present with certain characteristics and that you can get support with anything you might find challenging at school, uni and beyond in later life. You're still the same person you were before the appointments, just knowing a bit more about yourself this time round
Thank you, this is very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads