ApplePi55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So, I’ve basically finished year 10, we have 1 week left and it’ll be virtual work experience. We did a sort of mocks in our school, we only did paper 1 for every subject (except for computer science which we did both papers) and I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to do maths and coding later with my scores and I really love computer science and maths. But maybe it’ll be completely different in A-Levels and an actual degree so I’m not too sure.
I’m not exactly sure what I want to do but I know I want to do a career with computer science/ coding. I was wondering what is the difference between a degree in computer science and a degree in software engineering? And what career options both of them hold?

Thank you in advance :-)
Last edited by ApplePi55; 2 months ago
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ApplePi55)
So, I’ve basically finished year 10, we have 1 week left and it’ll be virtual work experience. We did a sort of mocks in our school, we only did paper 1 for every subject (except for computer science which we did both papers) and I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to do maths and coding later with my scores and I really love computer science and maths. But maybe it’ll be completely different in A-Levels and an actual degree so I’m not too sure.
I’m not exactly sure what I want to do but I know I want to do a career with computer science/ coding. I was wondering what is the difference between a degree in computer science and a degree in software engineering? And what career options both of them hold?

It depends on the university. At Sheffield where I am, the computer science course and the software engineering course are exactly the same (except for one compulsory module in 3rd year).

Generally though, CS would cover the more theoretical side of things (which is good if you like maths) whilst SE would be more practical.
ApplePi55
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
It depends on the university. At Sheffield where I am, the computer science course and the software engineering course are exactly the same (except for one compulsory module in 3rd year).

Generally though, CS would cover the more theoretical side of things (which is good if you like maths) whilst SE would be more practical.
Ah so CS would have more theory/ maths whereas SE would be programming, Thank you! Can you still get the same career options if you take either path? For example if I did a computer science degree but wanted to do a software engineering job later is that still possible?
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah so CS would have more theory/ maths whereas SE would be programming, Thank you! Can you still get the same career options if you take either path? For example if I did a computer science degree but wanted to do a software engineering job later is that still possible?
Yeah that should be possible as there's still a lot of soft eng as part of CS.
ApplePi55
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Yeah that should be possible as there's still a lot of soft eng as part of CS.
Thank you
Bowlol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Doing software engineering at uni . The main difference between the 2 is the level of theory vs practical. In software engineering their is more hands on practical coding and less theory and in computer science its more theory less practical coding. in terms of the job market Software engineering is more likely to land you a job as a programmer as its more practical than computer science however computer science is more broad than software engineering.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At university, the modules tend to overlap quite a bit in the first couple of years, so not much difference in that respect. Your final year project is down to you as well in both courses. Only real difference is that software engineering will obviously focus more on software architecture rather than the infrastructure side of things.
cvgk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
look at universities curriculums.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads