PGDE - Scotland 2022 Applicants Thread!

Watch this thread
Chlo_07
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know I'm super early but thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Applying for 2022 PGDE, anyone else? Who are you using as reference? Where are you applying? Are you in your final year or have you graduated? The usual questions

Starting to feel super nervous about not being able to get experience the past year because of Covid, anyone else having this problem?

Good luck guys
KathrynMillar
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

I will be applying this year again as I was unsuccessful last year, after 3 interviews which sucks but onwards and upwards. I will be applying for History and Modern Studies, I just haven't decided which unis to apply to exactly. I graduated just there and I am just about to start a year of being a learning assistant for ASN.

Hopefully you are successful and find somewhere to gain experience. I know last year there were people saying they done local clubs online which counted as some experience. I'm sure with things opening up again there will be opportunities to gain more experience.
Tara_23
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chlo_07)

Applying for 2022 PGDE, anyone else? Who are you using as reference? Where are you applying? Are you in your final year or have you graduated? The usual questions

Starting to feel super nervous about not being able to get experience the past year because of Covid, anyone else having this problem?

Good luck guys
Hii!

I'm applying for the PGDE also. Would love to go to Uni of Glasgow or Strathclyde but I've put down UWS (Ayr and Lanarkshire) and Dundee. Not fussed on Dundee or Ayr at all though but it would've been a risk applying to 3 unis instead of 5 lol

I have just graduated from a primary education degree in England so I think ill ask my personal tutor to write my reference seeing as she knows me quite well. I know it is probably a wee bit odd that I am applying for a PGDE when I'm already technically a teacher but because of certain subject requirements at GCSE, I was never able to apply to Scotland and moving to Scotland has been my absolute dream for the past 6 years lol so I am hoping my application doesn't get bypassed tbh.

Currently in the process of trying to juggle drafting my personal statement and completing the SCQF 6 English access course alongside full time work which is haaaaard.

Wouldn't worry too much about not having as much experience in a classroom this past year because they know themselves it was difficult for a lot of people. That's probably one of the biggest perks my degree has seeing as I was teaching 80% of the timetable for 12 weeks. Everyone will be diff! There's defo still time to get a month or so in before applying too when the schools go back

Best of luck everyone!
chez84
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for PGDE History at Glasgow, Strathclyde and possibly Edinburgh. I did a spot of volunteer tutor work in 2019 and, like most of you all, I was unable to gain classroom experience. It's my biggest worry that I'll have my application rejected based on that. I am a parish volunteer at my local Catholic parish and hoping to gain classroom experience this year.

I secured 2 references for my application so now need to decide who to choose. I'm nearly 37 and have a family at home. I graduate from Glasgow in June 2022. Currently my GPA is 2:1 so hoping to retain and graduate with that. I'm currently juggling family life, my part time job and research for my dissertation.

Wishing you all the very best in your applications!
Lynz123
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m hoping to apply for PGDE Primary in Strathclyde, Glasgow or UWS, maybe Edinburgh. I’m in my final year of studying part time for a BA in Childhood Practice. I’m an early years practitioner and have been doing the job for 14 years. I work in a nursery class within a primary school so now that covid restrictions have eased, I’m hoping to get some classroom experience with older children when the term starts. I don’t know how successful I’ll be as my degree won’t be complete but I’m going to try anyway and see what happens.

Good luck to you all ❤️.
Last edited by Lynz123; 11 months ago
1997sh
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hey!

I am applying for Primary PGDE. Really keen for going to Edinburgh, but also putting Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee in as choices. Undecided on a 5th choice right now. I was wondering if anyone knows anyone who has completed the course at any of these Unis recently and how they found it? I had been expecting there to be open days to visit and get a feel for the unis themselves/the courses, but with COVID it's seeming not to be the case, so would love to hear about peoples experiences if they have any to share?

For experience, I am away to start working as a Pupil Support Assistant in a Primary School, and I have also been tutoring primary school-aged children since the beginning of this year. I also volunteered at a Youth Club over the summer, and in the past volunteered as a befriender for vulnerable children. My main worry is that most of my experience is very recent - which may not stand up well against other candidates with 'pre-covid' experience. I'm hoping the few months of experience I will get at the school before applying will be enough to count! For a reference, I'm planning to ask the school, and failing that I might ask the staff I worked with at Youth Club.

I also wanted to ask how quickly everyone was intending on getting their applications in? I know ideally, I would do it as soon as possible, but it's awkward trying to balance getting as much experience as possible to put on the PS, vs leaving it too late and getting left behind! Unsure if the Unis just start filling up places before the final deadline also.

Good luck everyone!!
Tara_23
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by 1997sh)
Hey!

I am applying for Primary PGDE. Really keen for going to Edinburgh, but also putting Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee in as choices. Undecided on a 5th choice right now. I was wondering if anyone knows anyone who has completed the course at any of these Unis recently and how they found it? I had been expecting there to be open days to visit and get a feel for the unis themselves/the courses, but with COVID it's seeming not to be the case, so would love to hear about peoples experiences if they have any to share?

For experience, I am away to start working as a Pupil Support Assistant in a Primary School, and I have also been tutoring primary school-aged children since the beginning of this year. I also volunteered at a Youth Club over the summer, and in the past volunteered as a befriender for vulnerable children. My main worry is that most of my experience is very recent - which may not stand up well against other candidates with 'pre-covid' experience. I'm hoping the few months of experience I will get at the school before applying will be enough to count! For a reference, I'm planning to ask the school, and failing that I might ask the staff I worked with at Youth Club.

I also wanted to ask how quickly everyone was intending on getting their applications in? I know ideally, I would do it as soon as possible, but it's awkward trying to balance getting as much experience as possible to put on the PS, vs leaving it too late and getting left behind! Unsure if the Unis just start filling up places before the final deadline also.

Good luck everyone!!
Hii! Your experiences sound amazing! Also, I’m planning on submitting around October/ November just because I need to the English access course from uni of Aberdeen! Pretty sure I had read for uni if Glasgow, they start interviewing from December but not 100% certain on that
Last edited by Tara_23; 11 months ago
Penny1OG
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Random Question, but has anyone been successful in their application for PGDE secondary with a normal degree (not hons) and a Post Graduate Diploma (not a full MSc)

For info the post graduate I have is in computing which I want to Teach
Ricochet95
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Lynz123)
Hi,

I’m hoping to apply for PGDE Primary in Strathclyde, Glasgow or UWS, maybe Edinburgh. I’m in my final year of studying part time for a BA in Childhood Practice. I’m an early years practitioner and have been doing the job for 14 years. I work in a nursery class within a primary school so now that covid restrictions have eased, I’m hoping to get some classroom experience with older children when the term starts. I don’t know how successful I’ll be as my degree won’t be complete but I’m going to try anyway and see what happens.

Good luck to you all ❤️.
Don't apply for UWS, they're weird about having the degree before applying so it will be a straight rejection and a wasted choice
sopha42
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Chlo_07)

Good luck guys
Hi!
I'm applying for Glasgow, Strathclyde (my current uni), Dundee, Highlands and Islands and I was thinking of applying to Edinburgh, but I don't seem to be able to pick that as a choice on UCAS yet? Is anyone else having that issue? Have they just not put that as an option yet?
chez84
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I, too, have been unable to apply for Edinburgh as that's my 3rd choice. I'm really concerned at the lack of classroom experience that I have. I currently tutor secondary school children and in the middle of applying for a local youth project as a volunteer. I'm nearly 37 with 2 teenagers so a little worried about that too.
Chlo_07
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by sopha42)
Hi!
I'm applying for Glasgow, Strathclyde (my current uni), Dundee, Highlands and Islands and I was thinking of applying to Edinburgh, but I don't seem to be able to pick that as a choice on UCAS yet? Is anyone else having that issue? Have they just not put that as an option yet?
Yeah, I’m having that same problem. I just gave them a call and they said that it’s definitely running next year but it’s just not live on UCAS yet. The person I spoke to said it should be up by the end of the month but she can’t be sure when. So I guess we just need to keep checking 😩
Teach2021
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hey, any idea when applications open for 2022 Entry? i have just went on to Glasgow Uni website and it's still showing info for 2021 entry.Oh and it's PGDE primary I am applying for.I have graduated - got my results this July.
RMcD94
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I've been out of education for 5 years, and I was wondering if you guys know if teaching English as a foreign language will count for experience. I taught in China for a year in 2018/19 from 4-16 and have taught online throughout COVID times, again as TEFL.Or do you think I need to know about the Scottish education system to get in? I got a 2:1 BA Hons in Econ from Strathclyde in 2016. I was thinking about applying for PGDE Primary
Last edited by RMcD94; 10 months ago
RMcD94
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
In addition, does anyone know if interviews will be held online at the end of the year/start of next year? I might not be in the country so it would be difficult to attend if they must be in person.
matthew44112
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hi when applying via UCAS does anyone know if you need to add all modules that you have completed at university and if so how? thanks
AbsT1980
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hello, I am applying for PGDE in primary at Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS and Edinburgh for the 2022 intake. I’m slightly concerned that I only hold a 2.2 in my undergraduate degree, I would be going as a mature student now, I have a reference from the youth organisation I have been a part of for the passed 18 years and one from my current employment. I am a Sunday school teacher and have now secured two days a week in a primary school. How is everyone finding the personal statement part of UCAS? Also am I right in thinking there is a literacy and numeracy assessment at the interviews? Good luck everyone
Teach2021
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by matthew44112)
Hi when applying via UCAS does anyone know if you need to add all modules that you have completed at university and if so how? thanks
Yes, you do. When you add the place of study there’s a button to add modules.
Teach2021
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AbsT1980)
Hello, I am applying for PGDE in primary at Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS and Edinburgh for the 2022 intake. I’m slightly concerned that I only hold a 2.2 in my undergraduate degree, I would be going as a mature student now, I have a reference from the youth organisation I have been a part of for the passed 18 years and one from my current employment. I am a Sunday school teacher and have now secured two days a week in a primary school. How is everyone finding the personal statement part of UCAS? Also am I right in thinking there is a literacy and numeracy assessment at the interviews? Good luck everyone
I had an interview with Dundee last year (I wasn’t successful) there was no literacy and numeracy assessment.
AbsT1980
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Teach2021)
I had an interview with Dundee last year (I wasn’t successful) there was no literacy and numeracy assessment.
Thank you for replying, I do hope your successful this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (23)
17.83%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.03%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.88%

Watched Threads