Can i get into UCL,Imperial,Oxbridge and Warwick Comp Sci with these gcses?

Watch
Alevel2407
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi All,i want to apply for compsci at these top unis but i dont think my gcses are good enough.I also dont do Compsci for a level but i didnt do great at gcse either.I would really appreciate some advice.

Maths-8(Many ppl will have a 9 here too)
Computing-7 (Many ppl will have a 9 in compsci)
Triple Science-9 in all 3
Geography-8
English Lang-6
English Lit-7
German-7
D and T-8
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alevel2407)
Hi All,i want to apply for compsci at these top unis but i dont think my gcses are good enough.I also dont do Compsci for a level but i didnt do great at gcse either.I would really appreciate some advice.

Maths-8(Many ppl will have a 9 here too)
Computing-7 (Many ppl will have a 9 in compsci)
Triple Science-9 in all 3
Geography-8
English Lang-6
English Lit-7
German-7
D and T-8
What are your A-level predicted grades? They're more important. Generally if your predicted grades don't meet their typical offer (especially at the universities you mention) you won't get an offer in the first place.
Alevel2407
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
What are your A-level predicted grades? They're more important. Generally if your predicted grades don't meet their typical offer (especially at the universities you mention) you won't get an offer in the first place.
3 A stars in Maths,Physics and Fm.1 A in Economics
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oxford and Cambridge don't distinguish between 8 and 9 grades at GCSE. Also I don't think they really care whether you took GCSE CS or not. The others aren't particularly fussed about GCSEs as I gather (in fact neither is Cambridge generally), and while Oxford which does consider them more than other unis for CS the MAT will be more important anyway. With A*A* in maths and FM along with your other A-level grades I think you'll be as good a prospect as anyone else.
godofhammers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
3 A stars in Maths,Physics and Fm.1 A in Economics
I think if you check the Oxford site this should be enough. This is the link to what they require for compsci for you to check for yourself. Also you could look at doing maths and compsci (as you did maths a level - so maybe this might be a bit easier than just compsci but I am not sure).

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...mputer-science

I think oxford care more about GCSEs than cambridge do, but I am not sure, it is just from what I read online.
I think cambridge accepts more compsci students than oxford but I would recommend checking this online to make sure.
Last edited by godofhammers; 1 week ago
Alevel2407
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Oxford and Cambridge don't distinguish between 8 and 9 grades at GCSE. Also I don't think they really care whether you took GCSE CS or not. The others aren't particularly fussed about GCSEs as I gather (in fact neither is Cambridge generally), and while Oxford which does consider them more than other unis for CS the MAT will be more important anyway. With A*A* in maths and FM along with your other A-level grades I think you'll be as good a prospect as anyone else.
Hi,thank you for your advice.It's good to hear that they consider both 8 and 9 the same but do you think having a 7 in computing GCSE will put me at a slight disadvantage?As its showing i wasn't good enough at the subject to get a top grade but i am still applying to do it at a much higher level.UCL wrote on their website that they may look at what grades an applicant got in a specific subject at GCSE.They used the example of having a low gcse grade in Physics and applying for physics.Do you believe this will be the same for me or will they look more at the GCSE maths grade?
Alevel2407
Rep:
?
(Original post by godofhammers)
I think if you check the Oxford site this should be enough. This is the link to what they require for compsci for you to check for yourself. Also you could look at doing maths and compsci (as you did maths a level - so maybe this might be a bit easier than just compsci but I am not sure).

I think oxford care more about GCSEs than cambridge do, but I am not sure, it is just from what I read online.
I think cambridge accepts more compsci students than oxford but I would recommend checking this online to make sure.
Hi thanks for the reply,i agree that Cambridge put less weighting on GCSEs as i've heard this from many sources.I think i only really have a shot at Cambridge as my gcse grades are on the weaker side.I have confidence that i could secure an offer here but thats because i have 2 chances to prove myself as there is the admissions test and the interview.However,for the other unis it is how good i look on paper.To be honest compared to other applicants i won't look good on the gcse front.This is what is worrying me the most.
Kiki._.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't read too deep into GCSEs - universities know better than anyone that the student you were during GCSEs is not the student you are now. I know people who flunked their GCSEs and got into Cambridge. So long as you show that you're a good student now, you'll be fine. It's not fair for a uni to base your performance on something you did years ago. Good luck c:
godofhammers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi thanks for the reply,i agree that Cambridge put less weighting on GCSEs as i've heard this from many sources.I think i only really have a shot at Cambridge as my gcse grades are on the weaker side.I have confidence that i could secure an offer here but thats because i have 2 chances to prove myself as there is the admissions test and the interview.However,for the other unis it is how good i look on paper.To be honest compared to other applicants i won't look good on the gcse front.This is what is worrying me the most.
Do you consider courses like maths and compsci (and courses similar to this - there are also other couses like compsci + another thing) in schools such as Oxford, Imperial or UCL? Or do you only want to do compsci?
Last edited by godofhammers; 1 week ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,thank you for your advice.It's good to hear that they consider both 8 and 9 the same but do you think having a 7 in computing GCSE will put me at a slight disadvantage?As its showing i wasn't good enough at the subject to get a top grade but i am still applying to do it at a much higher level.UCL wrote on their website that they may look at what grades an applicant got in a specific subject at GCSE.They used the example of having a low gcse grade in Physics and applying for physics.Do you believe this will be the same for me or will they look more at the GCSE maths grade?
I doubt it because unlike in the example of phyiscs, CS degrees generally (and for all the courses you are considering) do not presuppose any prior knowledge of the subject. A lower grad in physics at GCSE might be cause for concern that you didn't grasp some fundamental topic they will assume you know and hence will not be re-teaching to you. In CS they'll teach everything (except maths) from scratch, so it's less of a concern I would expect.
heccyeah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do unis even care at all about gcses, beyond any minimum requirements they may have in like maths / english and that?
orthimony
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
please help me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.94%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (99)
32.14%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.34%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.77%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.52%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed