The Student Room Group

Fifa wants to change football

“young people find football matches too long” and “not interesting”. He said at the time that “we might have to make the football matches shorter . . 2 X 30 mins . . Etc

https://www.givemesport.com/1723383-fifa-reportedly-considering-rule-changes-that-would-revolutionise-football?amp
I only think it gets too long with ET and penalties, actual playing time is a lot less than 90 minutes. Players could last longer in their prime if they play less time though.
Reply 2
Football is unbearingly boring anyway making it a bit shorter should lead to matches being 2 minutes long. First to score wins and then you all go home.
Original post by Bio 7
Football is unbearingly boring anyway making it a bit shorter should lead to matches being 2 minutes long. First to score wins and then you all go home.

why don't you go home and leave the people who like football decide on this?
Reply 4
Original post by InfiniteWill
why don't you go home and leave the people who like football decide on this?

I suspect home is where they are
Original post by NJA
“young people find football matches too long” and “not interesting”. He said at the time that “we might have to make the football matches shorter . . 2 X 30 mins . . Etc

https://www.givemesport.com/1723383-fifa-reportedly-considering-rule-changes-that-would-revolutionise-football?amp

I really hope they don’t introduce these rules… I mean, I already find a football match too short! “Young people” who find it too long should watch another sport cause clearly they don’t enjoy football 😂
Reply 6
Having shorter forms of cricket has helped the game. Having shorter forms of football might seem a little extreme, but not something to be immediately dismissed.
I like the 'kick in' and shorter game idea with the clock stopped (like Rugby).

I remember the old Cardiff game where only 42mins of actual football was played lol we can't have that. Though it should probably be 70 or 80 not 60.
IMO if its not broke don't fix it. The only thing that may be beneficial is stopping the clock when the balls out of play.

And who said young ppl don't like football me and my friends talk about football all the time
Well if anyone's going to change it, it would be FIFA I suppose *shrug*

I'm not keen, but given the sheer amount of games played and aired the impact would be huge, I can see why it would be mooted.
Original post by Frozetman
IMO if its not broke don't fix it. The only thing that may be beneficial is stopping the clock when the balls out of play.

And who said young ppl don't like football me and my friends talk about football all the time

You and your friends aren't all young people though, bare in mind the target market is Asia/Americas.
Original post by Little pecker
You and your friends aren't all young people though, bare in mind the target market is Asia/Americas.

Tru but if so shouldn't they just change the rules in those areas or at least conduct a survey across the world
Tru but if so shouldn't they just change the rules in those areas or at least conduct a survey across the world

It'd be bad to have inconsistent rules between countries when it comes to international comps, also a world wide survey (how do you even do that?) will probably get a resounding no as people by nature are resistant to change. Like many things, it has to be forced and then people will become accustomed to it (rightly or wrongly).
at least conduct a survey across the world

There are some occasions as where democracy is 100% useless, this is one of them.

(Look where referendums have got the UK? we're a bawhair off being called a rouge state :colonhash: )

Quick Reply

Latest