The Student Room Group

Please help - is my mum bluffing?

I felt depressed last night and left some pills out, so my mum ended up calling 111 and booked a counsellor session for me tomorrow. I wasn’t going to do anything - I had a headache - and I was just feeling overwhelmed because a lot of my siblings’ friends were around and I was excluded from everything. I’m 18 and she claims that, if I don’t go, the doctor will come to our house. I’ve begged her to cancel it and don’t know how to myself. I know I come off as really immature, but I have anxiety and hate confronting my issues. Thank you.
Reply 1
Likely not.
Reply 2
Given she probably thinks (from what youve said) she thinks youre about to try and top yourself you arent going to be able to argue the toss over this. On the flipside look at it this way, shes just trying to make sure youre okay.
Go the session, show the shrink you're fine and the case will be closed though. Much easier than creating drama out of this with your mum who is just doing her job as, well, your mum.
Original post by Anonymous
I have anxiety and hate confronting my issues. Thank you.

You should learn how to confront your issues while you are still living with your parents and get used to it. The number of issues only grows as you move out and become independent. The sessions with the counsellor your mum booked for you might be very helpful if you embrace them.

If you prepare for the problems before they happen it will be much easier to handle them.

Quick Reply