Greysnow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm studying computer science and when I applied to UoP It was rated pretty good on the league tables. However it is now 70th for cs... I really loved the place when I visited but now I'm apprehensive since its gone so far down, does anyone know why this is?
The main reasons I like Portsmouth is the TEF gold rating, the year in industry/career centre and the city in general. However, will employers disregard my degree since it is not rated as high as a Russel group uni?
Should I stick with my gut love for this place or try to find somewhere else since my grades will probably be good enough for adjustment. Many thanks.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Greysnow)
I'm studying computer science and when I applied to UoP It was rated pretty good on the league tables. However it is now 70th for cs... I really loved the place when I visited but now I'm apprehensive since its gone so far down, does anyone know why this is?
The main reasons I like Portsmouth is the TEF gold rating, the year in industry/career centre and the city in general. However, will employers disregard my degree since it is not rated as high as a Russel group uni?
Should I stick with my gut love for this place or try to find somewhere else since my grades will probably be good enough for adjustment. Many thanks.
Hi!
It's great to hear that you have applied to UoP and I hope you enjoy your course.
What I would say is not to bear ratings in mind too much. I was given the same advice when I was searching for universities. The people who tend to fill out surveys and rate the course/uni either have had a very positive experience or a very negative one, so you often get one of two extremes.
I would suggest maybe talking to some students from the University who have studied, or are studying, computer science. You can comment in the UoP chat in the student room, get in touch with the University via email, or you can come to an open day or applicant day to see what it is like.
Employers most likely won't disregard your degree because a degree from any University is a high achievement which will stand you in good stead for the future and job interviews.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Michaela - UoP Rep
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Greysnow)
will employers disregard my degree since it is not rated as high as a Russel group uni?

definitely not.

generally the students at Portsmouth will not be as academic as those from higher ranked unis, but believe me anyone who is intelligent enough to do compsci is intelligent enough!

the year in industry is invaluable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (16)
6.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.57%

Watched Threads