Do relationships last through uni?

Watch this thread
NudistLuke
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My girlfriend Ellie and I have been together over two years and we really love one another. We’re about to go to uni (hopefully) but probably not the same one. I can’t imagine being with anyone else, even though she is my first (and I’m her first too). Do relationships usually last through uni when you are apart for weeks at a time?
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by NudistLuke)
My girlfriend Ellie and I have been together over two years and we really love one another. We’re about to go to uni (hopefully) but probably not the same one. I can’t imagine being with anyone else, even though she is my first (and I’m her first too). Do relationships usually last through uni when you are apart for weeks at a time?
no they dont.

And trust me that "i cant imagine being with anyone else" nonsense will quickly change when you are at dorm parties and are knee deep in clunge.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
It's rare for it to happen, but it does happen.

Most sixth form couples break up at some point between the first and last day of uni.
So the odds aren't in your favour. But you never know.

And then the next question is "Would staying together through uni be the wisest course of action?"
I don't think it would, because Uni is such a great opportunity to expand your social circle, to build on your social skills, to cycle through more than one sexual relationship and to grow in general wisdom and self confidence. But that's because I can look at your life with a detached view and look at the medium to long term gains over the short term losses.
15Characters...
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Distance is a significant strain for many relationships, and people do change whilst at uni. So yeah, a lot of pre-uni relationships do fail when the participants go off to uni. But obviously not all.
Last edited by 15Characters...; 10 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
Me and my boyfriend started going out in college, we both went to uni (although the same one) and we're still together over 10 years later.

So yeah it's possible, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but if you're both committed to staying together then that's a great start and would be worth giving a go. You can still have fun in uni without having an in person relationship there, you can go to clubs and societies and make friends and grow and have a good time. Sometimes people can drift apart at times like these, as you develop your personalities and interests as a person or it can bring you closer as you talk about your experiences together, only time can tell but worth at least trying in my opinion if you like her.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by NudistLuke)
My partner and I have stayed together through 2 years of uni now, although we did make an effort to stay in the same city. So it can happen
Personally I'd look at your relationship and what you want rather than the stats - if you're in love, why break up "because we probably will later"? See what happens and how you actually feel when you're at uni and being long-distance.
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
Virtually no relationships last when going to uni
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I’ve been with my partner since year 12, we both just finished our second years at different unis in different towns 🤷*♀️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
30.2%
It went fairly well (217)
47.48%
It didn't go too well (64)
14%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.32%

Watched Threads