The Student Room Group

5 Alevels?

:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Despite what everyone says, I think 5 a levels is definitely possible but only if your very smart (but even all 9s at gcse may not suffice). Quite frankly, If you're gonna do 5 A levels, you should get an A* in them.But I don't really see the point of doing 2 languages at A levels - even if you want to do languages at uni. Especially, 2 quite similar languages. I'd say just do 4 and an epq - this is what I am doing. Or maybe just five a levels if your school allows.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you should do 3 or 4 - it sounds like you don't want to continue art beyond 6th form so that may be the best subject to drop. 5 would definitely be too many in my opinion, especially as all of those subjects are quite full-on
Original post by lizloe
Okay so, I know that taking 5 Alevels sounds stupid and pointless.

I mostly agree but I'm really stuck with which subject to pick for my 4th one.

Basically,

I'm picking Chemistry, biology, Art and spanish

But basically I'm stuck between doing Biochemistry/sciency stuff or Languages in uni. Art is just something I really enjoy doing.

Basically I can speak Portuguese, and I did a GCSE in it. Predicted an 8. Now I thought, why not do it for Alevel, because if i do decide to do languages in uni, it would be between (Spanish and portuguese), (Spanish and Italian - italian from scratch) or possibly (Spanish and French- french from scracth). Hence if i did decide to do portuguese, having an Alevel would be good unless I wanna do it from scratch, which is not necessary.

I can speak pretty much fluently, although if I did do Alevels i would have to practise reading, writing, etc a lot more since I don't really do that (ofcourse I did have to do some revision for my GCSEs)

Then again I really didn't wanna drop art.
But I don't even know if Portuguese is worth it, since because i already know it, i think it would be better to learn Italian or french in uni.

I am also gonna do an EPQ. (Don't know what about yet but yeah).

So it's not even like I want to do 5, more like, I don't know which to pick.

I could start doing 5 then drop. But I don't even know.

Thanks,

Choose three that you want to actually do and stick with them. You underestimate the skills required to get a good mark at A level languages - 'speaking it fluently' is 25% of the four language skills. What about the writing, reading, grammar etc? Languages at A level are tough, and need a lot of work. Art probably even more so - it's one of the most time-intensive A levels there is.

You sound to me like you don't really know what you want to do, and haven't structured your thinking around this. Decide on a uni. course (or at least a shortlist of a few) and that might make the A level choice easier.
Original post by tej3141
Despite what everyone says, I think 5 a levels is definitely possible but only if your very smart (but even all 9s at gcse may not suffice). Quite frankly, If you're gonna do 5 A levels, you should get an A* in them.But I don't really see the point of doing 2 languages at A levels - even if you want to do languages at uni. Especially, 2 quite similar languages. I'd say just do 4 and an epq - this is what I am doing. Or maybe just five a levels if your school allows.

It's rarely possible and always unnecessary.
Original post by Reality Check
It's rarely possible and always unnecessary.

Yh i agree tbh but usually people generally discourage people from taking 4 A levels, so I wanted to give an alternative view.
Original post by tej3141
Yh i agree tbh but usually people generally discourage people from taking 4 A levels, so I wanted to give an alternative view.

Yes - always good to have different voices and opinions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest