Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently writing an EPQ based on the life of a historical figure.

While I understanding how referencing works (how to write an in-text and bibliographical reference), I don't understand which information I should be citing through in-text citation.

Naturally with a history essay, there are a lot of dates. Do I need to directly cite these in-text or can I simply put the source I used in the bibliography without linking it directly to the date in the text? Should every date, event and historian's opinion be referenced in-text?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm very tired. Thank you for reading!
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did a science EPQ so I'm not sure if it's the same, but I put in-text citations at the end of most sentences lol. When I was writing it, I made a table with all my sources (titles, links and the bibliography-style reference) where each was numbered so I'd just write a little number at the end of every sentence to link back to the relevant paper. After I was done, I replaced all the numbers with in-text citations. If there were sentences/paragraphs that used the same source, I just put the reference at the end of the last sentence.
Maybe have a look at other referencing systems where you don't have to write out so many in-text references e.g. APA style I think cuz it does take up a lot of words and with a history EPQ I'm guessing all the dates have different sources. Idk I'm sorry if this wasn't very helpful.
Good luck
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
I did a science EPQ so I'm not sure if it's the same, but I put in-text citations at the end of most sentences lol. When I was writing it, I made a table with all my sources (titles, links and the bibliography-style reference) where each was numbered so I'd just write a little number at the end of every sentence to link back to the relevant paper. After I was done, I replaced all the numbers with in-text citations. If there were sentences/paragraphs that used the same source, I just put the reference at the end of the last sentence.
Maybe have a look at other referencing systems where you don't have to write out so many in-text references e.g. APA style I think cuz it does take up a lot of words and with a history EPQ I'm guessing all the dates have different sources. Idk I'm sorry if this wasn't very helpful.
Good luck
Ah that's great, thanks so much!
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 273792)
Ah that's great, thanks so much!
Np Good luck on your EPQ!! I hope you have fun doing it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise