No physics a level -> physics master’s?

Watch this thread
maisie.rose
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I was looking at the Open University’s website mostly just out of interest, and saw that for their physics degree they don’t have any specific A-level requirements, so you can get a BSc in Physics without having done the A-level. I also looked at a few uni’s pages for master’s in physics and saw that they only require a good bachelor’s degree in physics and don’t say anything about A-levels. So is it possible to get into one of these master’s courses with a bachelor’s in physics from the Open University and never having done physics A level? Or would the university you applied for the master’s at check your A levels and reject you on the basis that physics was not one of them? Would they be less likely to reject you if your A levels included maths and further maths?
Thanks for any replies!
Last edited by maisie.rose; 10 months ago
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Once you have done your physics degree your A levels become pretty much irrelevant when looking to apply to a masters.
Your a levels will still form part of your application so they will be “checked” but rarely if ever will they specify a subject.
Ketchup007
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by maisie.rose)
I was looking at the Open University’s website mostly just out of interest, and saw that for their physics degree they don’t have any specific A-level requirements, so you can get a BSc in Physics without having done the A-level. I also looked at a few uni’s pages for master’s in physics and saw that they only require a good bachelor’s degree in physics and don’t say anything about A-levels. So is it possible to get into one of these master’s courses with a bachelor’s in physics from the Open University and never having done physics A level? Or would the university you applied for the master’s at check your A levels and reject you on the basis that physics was not one of them? Would they be less likely to reject you if your A levels included maths and further maths?
Thanks for any replies!
Hi its best phoning them or emailing them but my friend got into their program for physics without A level physics 🙃hope this helped
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
The Open University starts you at around GCSE level and you very quickly rise up to A-Level and first-year undergraduate by the end of Level 1. When you hit Level 2, the difficulty jumps up quite dramatically. By the time you hit Level 3, you will have ramped up the difficulty even further. Some students decide on studying only 30 credits, each year, at level 3 as they find they need to devote more time. Also, there are no entry requirements to enter the Open Uni. You will start from the basics at a fast pace.

But to answer your question, your degree pretty much cancels out A-Levels. It would be very stupid for a person to have proof of your ability at degree level but worry about your ability at A-Level. All of SM123 and part of S217 pretty much covers A-Level Physics. Also, R51 Physics is accredited by the IoP. So you study all the core essentials that are required.

If it makes you feel better, there was a student who was on the Q77 Mathematics and Physics Pathway, graduated with a First, then was accepted on to Cambridge's Part III Maths Masters. This is regarded as one of the most difficult Physics/Maths Masters in the country, if not the world. So you will be fine
Last edited by NovaeSci; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed