username5806596
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I get my GCSE grades in about a month and for A levels I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths and I'm thinking of taking an EPQ but i don't know whether it is worth it because a lot of people I've spoken to have said it's a waste of time. I'm not hugely enthousiastic to do it myself but i really want to get into a Russell group uni. Any advice?
Last edited by username5806596; 1 month ago
drs.vud.192
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lonja)
I get my GCSE grades in about a month and for A levels I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths and I'm thinking of taking an EPQ but i don't know whether it is worth it because a lot of people I've spoken to have said it's a waste of time. I'm not hugely enthousiastic to do it myself but i really want to get into a Russell group uni. Any advice?
It's not necessary but can definitely help and it will give you something to talk about in your interview.
If you do not want to do it, DON'T DO IT. You will get an awful mark if you're not really up for doing it. If there's a topic you really love and want to research more about, then do an EPQ on that. In order to get a good mark in the EPQ, it's important for you to want to do the EPQ and also for you to pick a topic you're passionate about. Otherwise it will be a massive drag and you'll get a bad mark.
Hope this helps
What The Cluck
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally most medical schools either don't care and don't read your EPQ or just don't weight it very much. Generally medical schools will shortlist candidates for interviews based on whether your A level grades are predicted or achieved high enough and your UCAT or BMAT score and in a few cases GCSE's are used so if you are applying to a Russell group you would be a stronger candidate if you focused on those things. If you aren't enthusiastic about taking it as well it's still a lot of work to research and write so you may want to reconsider.
Last edited by What The Cluck; 1 month ago
username5806596
Rep:
?
(Original post by drs.vud.192)
It's not necessary but can definitely help and it will give you something to talk about in your interview.
If you do not want to do it, DON'T DO IT. You will get an awful mark if you're not really up for doing it. If there's a topic you really love and want to research more about, then do an EPQ on that. In order to get a good mark in the EPQ, it's important for you to want to do the EPQ and also for you to pick a topic you're passionate about. Otherwise it will be a massive drag and you'll get a bad mark.
Hope this helps
thank you so much for the advice
username5806596
Rep:
?
(Original post by greg6868)
Generally most medical schools either don't care and don't read your EPQ or just don't weight it very much. Generally medical schools will shortlist candidates for interviews based on whether your A level grades are predicted or achieved high enough and your UCAT or BMAT score and in a few cases GCSE's are used so if you are applying to a Russell group you would be a stronger candidate if you focused on those things. If you aren't enthusiastic about taking it as well it's still a lot of work to research and write so you may want to reconsider.
thank you for the insight
username5806596
Rep:
?
(Original post by greg6868)
Also I was wondering you would include Oxbridge in those universities that are indifferent to an EPQ?
thanks
What The Cluck
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5806596)
Also I was wondering you would include Oxbridge in those universities that are indifferent to an EPQ?
thanks
Honestly, I don't think they care that much. The main advantage of an EPQ is that interviewers sometimes like to discuss them during interviews but aside from that it's not that important for medicine or any other course really.

Remember only do an EPQ if you are really interested because it is basically a really long essay on a single topic, you must be passionate about the topic and genuinely want to research it while also making it relevant to medicine. Personally I would not do it for the sake of getting an additional grade, I have just finished my AS year and I've seen a lot of people who just took an EPQ for the extra grade who have hated it, left it last minute or just neglected it.

If you are still unsure about this I'd recommend going on forums, medicine websites (there are loads of them e.g. medic portal) or looking into the Oxbridge application process.
Oxford: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...my-application
Attached files
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you care about going to a Russell Group University for medicine? What tangible benefits do you hope to gain?

(Hint: there aren’t any).
Orlando22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One think to remember is that Sheffield Medical School's offer is AAB if you have an A in an EPQ. I'm not sure if others do the same. So that could be an advantage, and Sheffield is RG (not that it matters for Med as a previous poster pointed out).

Likewise it can show insight and be good to talk about in interviews. It won't help you get shortlisted, but can help at interview, especially if you don't have as much work experience as you might have done if it wasn't for Covid.

The absolute priority has to be A levels and UCAT/BMAT but an EPQ can be useful. Only if you find a topic you are interested in researching though. If there is a Medical School you are really keen on, you could mirror their research in your choice of EPQ which would go down well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads