mwilkes.123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, so I’m a mature student and I’m planning to go into uni to do architecture and design. But my portfolio is due Thursday and I’m really struggling as what to put in it.

-How many pages do I do?
-can I add my photography work?
- should I use cad in it
- how many sketches do I do?
- I’ve got a project on how my house was built and the reason for it should I add this?

Thanks
University of the Arts London
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mwilkes.123)
Hey, so I’m a mature student and I’m planning to go into uni to do architecture and design. But my portfolio is due Thursday and I’m really struggling as what to put in it.

-How many pages do I do?
- should I use cad in it
- I’ve got a project on how my house was built and the reason for it should I add this?

Thanks
Hi mwilkes.123

The university you are applying to may stipulate certain elements they wish to see in your portfolio, however I can give you some general guidance.

At UAL we look for up to 30 pages for a full portfolio, or 15 - 20 for a 'mini-portfolio' (students may be asked for a mini portfolio for some courses before being asked to submit more work if required).

A strong portfolio will consist of a range of work, showing development and research as well as final pieces of work. This can be comprised of various disciplines, photography, sculpture, drawing (CAD and hand drawing are both fine). You would probably want to include work that shows spatial design, and if possible, how people might interact within the space as this is integral to architectural design. Photography is also a good skill to show an understanding of light and composition.

Your portfolio should consist of work that you have undertaken yourself, so if the project about your house is something you've done, then yes, that could certainly include that.

You might also want to search online to see if the uni you're applying to has an online degree show, and then look to see how work has been presented for the subject area. You can view the Architecture students work from UAL here: https://graduateshowcase.arts.ac.uk/...s-architecture Obviously this work is advanced and developed as its graduate student work but you can see a wide range of visual approaches within this discipline.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
SebastianMesser
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mwilkes.123)

-How many pages do I do?
- should I use cad in it

Thanks
As it is due today, this might be a little late to help, but there is guidance on the RIBA website about what to include in a portfolio and different institutions may also have advice or portfolio requirements on their websites. As a general rule, the portfolio is a showcase for you - what interests you, how you think (visually) and develop an idea, and the skills you have. Personally I am most interested in seeing the development work/sketchbooks/and physical making - a brief self-reflective commentary on each ‘project’ would set the portfolio apart: this is what I wanted to find out/ why I did this, this is what I actually learnt, and so this is what I did/would do next… - Try to find the theme(s) that run across the projects so that the portfolio can “tell a story”. Skills-wise, nothing beats life drawing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.49%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.86%
I need help with my personal statement (77)
41.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.62%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.11%

Watched Threads