laurakyna
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi

I'm about to do my pig EMS next week, it's 3 weeks on an outdoor pig farm and I'm concerned about the heat. I've had heat stroke before when working in heatwaves and this week I'm struggling just staying cool while inactive in the house.

What farm appropriate clothing do you recommend that will keep me cool?

I have steel toe capped wellies, are these the best option for footwear? I can get some 'moisture wicking' thick socks for these.

Should I avoid the uni boiler suit?

Normally in the heat people recommend lightweight cotton/linen clothing, but would this be suitable around pigs?! I imagine wearing shorts is a bad idea!

Do I need waterproofs?

I checked with the farmer and I can wear whatever I like as long as it's disinfected etc, and it's not a shower in/out farm.

I haven't worked with pigs before - if I spend money on decent items will they be completely wrecked and unusable on my dairy EMS in august, or is it worth investing in something?

Thank you!
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Don't wear overalls unless you plan on wearing nothing underneath it.

Just a t shirt and hard wearing trousers (Dickies are a good option) that you don't mind wrecking is all you really need. A hat would also be recommended.

Steel wellies are fine but I wouldn't wear thick socks unless you want to be walking in sweat puddles all day.

Take waterproof top and bottoms in case.

Unfortunately you will just have to sweat in the heat, so drink plenty of water and seek shade when possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.58%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (76)
28.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.54%

Watched Threads