kke.cr_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm trying to start my personal statement for my courses (politics and international relations/global politics) and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as to extra reading or activities I can engage with in order to discuss? The things that I have read/watched/done feel too insignificant to write about. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.
NellieTheElegant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I applied to study Politics and IR this year and I'm going to Bath in September

I must stress that any extra reading or activities you've done are NOT insignificant as long as you can write about them and link them to how they'll help you with your course. Explain why you did the reading/activity, what you learnt and how you can use that experience going forward.

Some things I included in my personal statement were:
• How my A Level subjects can be linked to politics. As well as Politics A Level, I did English and Drama. For English I was able to talk about how one of the pieces of literature we studied was political which made me enjoy studying it more. For Drama I talked about how I had to research the political control and influence of the Soviet Union as it was relevant to one of our devised performances.
• Specific aspects of Politics and IR I find interesting and why + what I have done to showcase this. E.g. I talked about a presentation I did on voting behaviour.
• How my studies have inspired readings of certain texts
• How my studies have inspired me to get involved in Politics in my spare time through courses, Q&As, webinars, work experience, working at a local level in government etc. (If you don't think you have enough to talk about, develop the the points you do have. Or search up some online events! There's always something going on in the political world. I recommend watching some webinars by Intelligence Squared or looking at doing some short courses with Investin Education if you have the time.)
• Just some fun facts about me that make me stand out - extracurricular activities, societies I'm involved in. Doesn't have to be political as it shows you have other interests and are well-rounded.

If you have any more questions, let me know
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The stuff you talk about should be online lectures/webinars/courses, podcasts, books and journals related to the sorts of things you're interested in
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kke.cr_)
I'm trying to start my personal statement for my courses (politics and international relations/global politics) and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as to extra reading or activities I can engage with in order to discuss? The things that I have read/watched/done feel too insignificant to write about. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hi!

I can see others have already provided great advice for what you can do. Personally, what I think helped my personal statement is volunteering in an organisation that was very relevant to what I currently study - International Relations. Although you definitely do not need anything like that to get accepted into university, maybe try to look if there is not something similar available in your area.

Hope this helped

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.36%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.72%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.72%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.48%

Watched Threads