The Student Room Group

Apply to clearing without calling

Hi,
I decided to apply to uni through Clearing. For several reasons, I'd prefer not to call in, but communicate through text instead. Is it possible to just email the unis, and if so, what should I say?
Thank you all in advance
Original post by roachynski
Hi,
I decided to apply to uni through Clearing. For several reasons, I'd prefer not to call in, but communicate through text instead. Is it possible to just email the unis, and if so, what should I say?
Thank you all in advance

During this early clearing phase you might be able to find a uni that will consider you via email or a web form if they have one. If necessary, send a full list of all your qualifications and a simple “I see that course X is open to clearing, could I be considered? Please let me know if you require further info…” message.

During the main phase after A-Level results are published, you will almost certainly have to call.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
During this early clearing phase you might be able to find a uni that will consider you via email or a web form if they have one. If necessary, send a full list of all your qualifications and a simple “I see that course X is open to clearing, could I be considered? Please let me know if you require further info…” message.

During the main phase after A-Level results are published, you will almost certainly have to call.

Thank you!
Original post by roachynski
Hi,
Thank you all in advance

Yes, that is totally fine. Email is the way to go - email admissions teams, tell them your grades and what courses you are interested in, and they will advise you! Ksenia
If you do this, it may take hours to get a response and they may still just tell you to phone them.

You can ask a parent or teacher to do the 'talking' for you - the call centre will just check that its okay with you, and you can then just pass the phone over.
Original post by McGinger
If you do this, it may take hours to get a response and they may still just tell you to phone them.

You can ask a parent or teacher to do the 'talking' for you - the call centre will just check that its okay with you, and you can then just pass the phone over.

This is subjective, at RAU we check the emails as well as take calls so it really does not matter. And many other unis do the same.
Original post by Royal Agricultural University
This is subjective, at RAU we check the emails as well as take calls so it really does not matter. And many other unis do the same.

McGinger's response is about the speed of reply as well as the likelihood, (not certainty), that a Uni may well ask for a call in any case. The advice to nominate a contact to speak on the phone if possible is a very good one.

Are RAU's Admissions team confirming that:

They will respond to any clearing email within the same working day, (at the beginning of the absolute busiest period of the year for them)

That they are happy to handle clearing applications entirely via email

Original post by Royal Agricultural University

As others have said, it is about the speed of response. Some unis will make a decision there and then on the phone, whereas with an email there can be a lot of back and forth, or it may not be seen as quickly.

If OP is interested in courses with limited spaces then it is generally better to phone, or have someone phone on your behalf if you are not able to.
RAU is tiny and smaller than most local FE colleges, and its experience of Clearing is going to be minimal compared to those of us from Universities with an undergrad population twenty times higher than RAU's entire student roll.

What RAU can manage to do with emails bears no resemblance to the situation at large, high demand Universities on Results Day.
Depending on the uni you may be able to apply for some sort of advanced clearing service. With my uni I was able to register prior to results day. I had to fill in my predicted grades and some other details and then on results day they confirmed I had a place and by midday called me just to confirm details and register me.

I’m not sure how many universities do this though.
Original post by Admit-One
McGinger's response is about the speed of reply as well as the likelihood, (not certainty), that a Uni may well ask for a call in any case. The advice to nominate a contact to speak on the phone if possible is a very good one.

Are RAU's Admissions team confirming that:

They will respond to any clearing email within the same working day, (at the beginning of the absolute busiest period of the year for them)

That they are happy to handle clearing applications entirely via email

I will triple check this for you! :smile: Thank you, Ksenia
Original post by McGinger
RAU is tiny and smaller than most local FE colleges, and its experience of Clearing is going to be minimal compared to those of us from Universities with an undergrad population twenty times higher than RAU's entire student roll.

What RAU can manage to do with emails bears no resemblance to the situation at large, high demand Universities on Results Day.

we are small, correct! :smile: we have a student population of 1100 students! :smile: thank you, Ksenia

Quick Reply

Latest