The Student Room Group

Student Finance Decision

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my undergraduate degree and want to go on to study a masters degree in dietetics. Since starting my undergraduate degree the prerequisites for the master's degree have been updated and now include a module I have not studied. Having contacted the university I was looking at attending (and others), I have been advised that my only option is to study a level 4 qualification (health sciences) for one year which includes the relevant module, prior to starting a masters degree.

I have been offered a place on this level 4 qualification and applied for student finance, however, this has recently been declined as the level 4 qualification is lower than my undergraduate degree.

Unfortunately, there is no other way I would be able to study the relevant module (and subsequent masters degree) unless I complete this level 4 qualification prior.

Does anyone know how I could get help with tuition fees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Rob

PS - does anyone know why my student finance account says finance has been approved and payments are scheduled when my application was declined?)
Original post by Student_Rob
Hi everyone,

I have just finished my undergraduate degree and want to go on to study a masters degree in dietetics. Since starting my undergraduate degree the prerequisites for the master's degree have been updated and now include a module I have not studied. Having contacted the university I was looking at attending (and others), I have been advised that my only option is to study a level 4 qualification (health sciences) for one year which includes the relevant module, prior to starting a masters degree.

I have been offered a place on this level 4 qualification and applied for student finance, however, this has recently been declined as the level 4 qualification is lower than my undergraduate degree.

Unfortunately, there is no other way I would be able to study the relevant module (and subsequent masters degree) unless I complete this level 4 qualification prior.

Does anyone know how I could get help with tuition fees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Rob

PS - does anyone know why my student finance account says finance has been approved and payments are scheduled when my application was declined?)

Hi there,

What qualification do you expect to receive? It sounds like further education.

does anyone know why my student finance account says finance has been approved and payments are scheduled when my application was declined?)
This means your application has been accepted and is approved.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

The qualification is a higher education certificate in health sciences.

It wasn't my intention to study this course originally, however, I have been told by the course leader for the master's degree I want to study that the prerequisites have been updated in 2020 to include 'significant elements of biochemistry' (two years after I started my undergraduate course) and that this one year course is the only way I can gain the necessary knowledge to be able to apply for the master's degree as my undergraduate degree did not include this module.

Thanks for your help,
Rob
Original post by Student_Rob
Hi Isaac,

The qualification is a higher education certificate in health sciences.

It wasn't my intention to study this course originally, however, I have been told by the course leader for the master's degree I want to study that the prerequisites have been updated in 2020 to include 'significant elements of biochemistry' (two years after I started my undergraduate course) and that this one year course is the only way I can gain the necessary knowledge to be able to apply for the master's degree as my undergraduate degree did not include this module.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Please confirm the full course name and university name.

If it is a higher education qualification then you won't be funded(unless it's a part time course) as you have already gained a higher qualifcation.
Thanks, Isaac
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending