The Student Room Group

Did universities give out fewer offers this year?

Due to expected grade inflation. If so, this is really unfair.

Scroll to see replies

This year's application cycle is ongoing. Also I imagine this data won't be available until next year (and I expect with universities desperate to recoup losses from last year in most cases they will probably have made more offers...).

@PQ might have some thoughts on the above? :tongue:
Original post by artful_lounger
This year's application cycle is ongoing. Also I imagine this data won't be available until next year (and I expect with universities desperate to recoup losses from last year in most cases they will probably have made more offers...).

@PQ might have some thoughts on the above? :tongue:

Warwick seemed to give out less offers.
Original post by AlgebraKing3
Warwick seemed to give out less offers.

Where are you getting that data from? And for which course(s)? Some may offer more or less than others. I would be surprised if there was much difference in maths offer making, for example, since STEP will still be the dominant attrition factor and as far as I know that went ahead as normal this year (so I would expect them to still make a large proportion of offers but strictly hold people to the STEP requirements of the offer).
Some gave out less (better to undershoot and fill up in clearing than deal with an uncontrolled overshoot) overall universities offers were slightly up - but not by as much as applications iirr (so the % of applications getting offers dropped for the first time in about a decade)
Original post by PQ
Some gave out less (better to undershoot and fill up in clearing than deal with an uncontrolled overshoot) overall universities offers were slightly up - but not by as much as applications iirr (so the % of applications getting offers dropped for the first time in about a decade)

I'm worried as Warwick doesn't have my course in clearing.
Original post by artful_lounger
Where are you getting that data from? And for which course(s)? Some may offer more or less than others. I would be surprised if there was much difference in maths offer making, for example, since STEP will still be the dominant attrition factor and as far as I know that went ahead as normal this year (so I would expect them to still make a large proportion of offers but strictly hold people to the STEP requirements of the offer).

Myself and people on Reddit. They told me my predicted grades weren't high enough despite them having a policy of giving offers to practically everyone predicted A*A*A+ (I was predicted A*A*A)
Myself and people on Reddit. They told me my predicted grades weren't high enough despite them having a policy of giving offers to practically everyone predicted A*A*A+ (I was predicted A*A*A)

I'd take anything Reddit says with a large grain of salt. In any case, sorry to hear you didn't get an offer - but I doubt expected grade inflation is the cause and I imagine it might be more like that as PQ pointed out, there were a very high number of applicants this year and so while offer rates went up slightly, there was still a sizeable gap between the two increases.
Due to expected grade inflation. If so, this is really unfair.

It’s not really unfair, the grades are inflated therefore they have to adjust.

But it all works out proportionately, same number of places, irrespective of grade distributions.

It would be better to have real exams and keep grades proportional but this is out of universities hands.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm worried as Warwick doesn't have my course in clearing.

With so much uncertainty about the grades awarded this year I expect a lot of changes to the clearing vacancies after the A level results come out. Universities are waiting until they know the full position for many courses before they decide whether there is additional space.

Worst case scenario - take a gap year, do something fun, earn some cash and reapply.
Original post by PQ
With so much uncertainty about the grades awarded this year I expect a lot of changes to the clearing vacancies after the A level results come out. Universities are waiting until they know the full position for many courses before they decide whether there is additional space.

Worst case scenario - take a gap year, do something fun, earn some cash and reapply.

The first bit gives me a tad hope. I'm already 21.
My alternate Warwick course had vacancies the day before clearing opened but never got listed in clearing.
My alternate Warwick course had vacancies the day before clearing opened but never got listed in clearing.

Always choose the course, not the university. :wink:
The course I got an offer from gave out 285 offers this year compared to 450 in previous years, so I’d say yes, they gave out fewer.
Original post by Aethomson
The course I got an offer from gave out 285 offers this year compared to 450 in previous years, so I’d say yes, they gave out fewer.

Warwick?
The info from an RG webinar to relevant school staff earlier this year was that whilst many Uni had made fewer offers, the Unis had no expectation that this would result in more clearing places.

With TAGs, the Unis know that this year's grades will be artificially high, more people will make their offers and hence they have made fewer offers to avoid overshooting course targets.
Original post by McGinger
The info from an RG webinar to relevant school staff earlier this year was that whilst many Uni had made fewer offers, the Unis had no expectation that this would result in more clearing places.

With TAGs, the Unis know that this year's grades will be artificially high, more people will make their offers and hence they have made fewer offers to avoid overshooting course targets.

Lectures are all online anyway, so I don't understand why they still limit spaces.
Warwick?

QUB. I heard Scottish unis did the same thing aswell but they haven’t issued a statement like Qub did.
(edited 2 years ago)
Lectures are all online anyway, so I don't understand why they still limit spaces.

Not for every course at every institution.

Your thread title and OP are very generic, application to all courses and unis. You seem particularly focused on Warwick in many of your replies - which is valid given your current situation. However, if you are looking for specific advice for you then I'd suggest you edit the first post as this isn't clear.

1) All Unis with expected course spaces will try to fill those spaces before Results Day with those who already have their results and who meet the entry requirements in full. These include IBs and other exam systems who get earlier results and who are searching for a Clearing place, and overseas applicants who often do not apply until they have their results.

2) All Unis would rather fill spaces with 'near miss' A level offer holders than put a course in Clearing.

3) If one course overshoots there is often 'numbers juggling' between departments - again no course in Clearing.

What is 'in Clearing' before Results Day can change drastically once all results are known for all of these reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest